MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my fuel gauge is not stable at all ie-turn a corner and it goes up go down a small hill and needle goes down go up a small hill needle goes up i have spoke to rover dealer about this and its normal on the city rover, the fuel float wires need some sort of electrical damper fitted so it slows the resistance down to the gauge can anyone recommend a divice to fit to wire from float to gauge..

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Hi mods, now I've read this I think steve's question would be seen by "people who know" and he would stand more chance of an answer if you moved this to "Ask the Gurus" with the title "CityRover Fuel Gauge Electrical Damper?" or similar.

Hi steve. Good luck!

·
Registered
585 Posts
not knowing the model to well but this is normal(ish) the fuel s registered in tank and the level of fuel is going to move in the tank going round corners, up and down hills etc.

Example - if i sit my omega on a hill parked with about £10 in it the low fuel light comes on - once i drive off and the car stabalises the low fuel light goes off ( as the fuel is now level) not the most technical answer but hope it helps!

question is why do you really need to change this?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
mark cleland said:
not knowing the model to well but this is normal(ish) the fuel s registered in tank and the level of fuel is going to move in the tank going round corners, up and down hills etc.

Example - if i sit my omega on a hill parked with about £10 in it the low fuel light comes on - once i drive off and the car stabalises the low fuel light goes off ( as the fuel is now level) not the most technical answer but hope it helps!

question is why do you really need to change this?
It is normal to a point. There should be some sort of electrical damper fitted to prevent it. As long as the needle isn't jumping about all over the place then you have nothing to worry about and it's doing it's job. You will always get variations in the reading going up and down hills, around corners e.t.c.

I don't see why it's a problem as long as it stabilizes on a normal flat surface.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fuel gauge

the city rover is not fitted with any sort of electric damper i know this because i have asked at my local rover dealer the gauge does dance about quite a lot so i was asking what electrical divice to fit in the wire to the gauge to stop it moving around as much when driving

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
This is a known problem with earlier CityRovers and the only fix is a new sender unit. The other thing to try is to fill the tank right to the top. This can take for ever though as you have to start filling it very slowly after 27 litres. my first 53 reg CR did this and hence the sender was replaced and all sorted but my other 2 have not done this at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts