MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am stumped.... at which point do I run out of petrol in my mk2? I have a red area on my fuel gauge but then there is a small gap and then there is a solid black line, do I run out when I get to the end of the red, when I get to the end of the gap, or when the needle is at the final black line? Is red "FILL UP" and the gap reserve or do cars not have reserves anymore/ever?

Things were so simple when I had a fuel light on my brava! The fuel gauge on my ZR seems to have a mind of it's own, it takes ages to move to the top after a fill up too and seems fluctuate a lot especially when I am in or near the red.

Once the needle hits the red how many miles should I get?

I have the 105 Trophy is it makes any difference...

Cheers

John ....again!

·
Registered
rover_25
581 Posts
Take it as far as you dare. Nothing will change until you run out of petrol. I suggest just keep filling her up and resetting the trip counter, see how many miles you get to a tank under similar driving conditions. You will soon get a feel for how far you can take her.

Good luck!

Tom

(PS Having said that, i ran out not long ago after almost 6 months of my car!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
i herd that once your below the red you've got another gallon or so untill you're running on air! My 51 plate R25 runs on the first red line for ages, never seems to run out, but you shouldnt really let it run all the way down, you'll suck up all the gunk in your petrol tank, but if your ZR is a 05 plate its prob pretty clean down there.

·
Registered
mg_zr
21 Posts
My MkII last quarter is very dangerous, once approaching the red I find it's like playing fuel roulette.

Once it has settled on the top of the thick red line the guage will not fall any further, wheras the 25 of my missus' has a superb guage where you can take it all the way to the bottom of the red area [believe me she has tested this! ;)]

No, you certainly cannot take the MKII past the black to the bottom white mark...and I would not advise staying in the red for too many miles either - the MKI's seem sooo much better in this regard!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys but I'm no further forward! Guess I will have to fill up more often then :(

I always liked trying to squeeze an extra day or two out of it. I remember a friend and me were in his fiesta coming back from central london on the M25 headed for luton, the needle was litterally resting on the out of fuel pin when we left and there were no petrol stations till luton! I swear we had about 10 feet left of petrol as we coasted into the petrol station. We were making plans of what direction to walk to find petrol, do we walk up the motorway or do we head into a village down the embankment! Ha, every couple of miles or so we had a different village to walk to but there were no slip roads to drive there.

·
Banned
5,073 Posts
Be careful - at least you are aware that there isn't a low fuel warning light.

I only found this out one day when the thing ran out of petrol.

I never knew they still made cars at that point like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts