MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i fuel up my deposit the fuel dial doesn't reach the highest level "stays" under the highest indication line..and when it reaches the bottom i ve noticed that there are about 10-15 litres left in the deposit..i've changed the fuel pump once in case there was a problem with float but still the same..is it normal? can it became somehow more accurate?

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
nikolas said:
what do you mean? it a common issue for rovers or only to me?!?
It's common for ALL cars, not just Rovers.

A fuel gauge is just a guide of how much is in the tank. They are no-where near accurate.

The figure of 10 litres (2 gallons) left in the tank when it reads empty is absolutely what I would want. Think about it, the gauge is reading emty, don't panic, about 30-50 miles, (50-80 km) to find a petrol station. i

A nice early warning.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yes fuel gauge accuracy is not v.good, have learn't to live with it

Very use to driving about 60 miles with needle on empty mind you having a low fuel light does help i.e I know that I must fill up with 30 miles of light coming on

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know that is extremely difficult since you have to remove the fuel tank in order to get access to the fuel pump however it would be great if somehow there was a way to do sth similar with the tutorial of fitting a coolant level sensor and have a bulb to notify if you need to fuel up..
am i tempting anyone to try this?
please do try at home! :p

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
hang on, i'l get my power drill out and put a float in the side off the tank. i;'l set it to a nice high rpm too. ;)

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
nikolas said:
i know that is extremely difficult since you have to remove the fuel tank in order to get access to the fuel pump however it would be great if somehow there was a way to do sth similar with the tutorial of fitting a coolant level sensor and have a bulb to notify if you need to fuel up..
am i tempting anyone to try this?
please do try at home! :p

Are you having a laugh?????!!!??!!!??! :eek:mg: :eek:mg:

Perhaps could connect some electrics to the fuel gauge sender unit, but I would not go messing with something that would contain petrol fumes. Think big feck off bang!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i 've watched the proceedure of removing the tank when i had my fuel pump changed and the wiring that i noticed didn't worry me at all..in fact i didnt notice any specific precaution from rover as far as cable connection is concerned if my memory isn't mistaken the two wires from the float to the pump didn't have any sign of insulation at their edge.. that's why i began thinking if thee is any potential of fitting a fuel bulb

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
nikolas said:
i 've watched the proceedure of removing the tank when i had my fuel pump changed and the wiring that i noticed didn't worry me at all..in fact i didnt notice any specific precaution from rover as far as cable connection is concerned if my memory isn't mistaken the two wires from the float to the pump didn't have any sign of insulation at their edge.. that's why i began thinking if thee is any potential of fitting a fuel bulb

You could fit one, but don't mess with the tank. Period. Petrol vapour is very dangerous, one spark and boom!!!

The way you could do it is to fit a R400 ('95 on)fuel tank sender unit.

This incorporates a switch operated by the float which could trigger a warning light.

I don't know whether it would fit though!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Why dont you just do a mental calculation as you go along no sender unit is going to ever give a perfect read out, messing about with electrics, fuel tanks and vapours just dont mix...Ive replaced many a tank and fitted new sender units, and can be a dangerous operation if you arent sure what your doing..

for safetys sake I hope this thread gets shelved..finito.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a *similar* problem with my ZS180, only difference is that I get around 70 miles on the clock before the dial starts to go down! That's about a quarter of a tank.

I bought it up with my local dealer when it went in for a few little jobs. They did everything except for the fuel tank. Apparently it's pretty normal!

A mate said because of the manufacturing tolerances they would only aim to get the *other* end of the tank correct.
In other words what would you rather was accurate, knowing when it's full or when it's about to be empty?

Well it might not be right what he said, but it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i had been driving for a while the new vw polo and i can tell you for sure that the fuel dial was quite reliable (i m not talking about the trip computer) anyway..i guess i can leave with a misleading dial however since i have to use the a/c more often (greece!!!) it is not possible to calculate the kilometres and be sure when the next fuel up must be!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Empty *should* be accurate, it's just the full that varies within the tolerances of the sensor.

Just test the thoery and put a can of gas in the boot, run the car out and it *should* run out on empty!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts