MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can any one tell me how hard it is to take off fuel cooler on my 75 diesel because it is leaking and i need to get it repaired thanks les

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am sure i will be ridiculed (see intake mod 101) but as and when my "fuel cooler" goes defunct I intend to remove it and join the inlet/outlet pipes together thereby bypassing the "cooler" altogether.
Not sure this helps but it may be an idea for yoyu to try, even if in your own case its just temporary.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I intend to remove it and join the inlet/outlet pipes together thereby bypassing the "cooler" altogether.
Why ? And I dont mean to ridicule - I am trying to suss out why you would not want cooler fuel - I thought that dense fuel has morepower per volume..

thanks

ian

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Ian..
Its a fair question..
I can only give what I consider a common sense point of view..
I have had many Diesel cars (including a BMW 330D 2002 model) and none of them have Incorporated a "fuel cooler radiator"..
There is lots to like about the ZT/Rover 75 BUT there are some ridiculous design faults on this car..Some aspects of it are complicated just for the sake of it..
Remember the "fuel cooler" is cooling the relatively small amount of fuel that is being RETURNED to the fuel tank..
This relatively small amount will be diluted in many gallons of diesel thats swishing around..I have a fairly sneaking suspicion that removing the "fuel cooler" wont cause the contents of the fuel tank to boil dry.
I am all for simplicity to be honest..
I remember slagging off dodgy designs of the ZT/75's when i first contributed to this forum...One of my criticisms was the silly idea of having 2 (yes two) fuel pumps to get the fuel to the engine..
I stated that I had had many Diesels and they all seemed to manage perfectly well with one pump..
Lo and Behold the Later ZT/75's Now have ONE fuel pump !!!
I suspect if Rover hadn't been allowed to die then many more of the ZT/75 dodgy designs would have been "evolved" out of existence.
If you haven't done so already then go and read my original post on the modified inlet trunking.( http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=165518 ).It nearly started a war with some "die hard leave it all original" members on here..
I stand firm..That mod is the single best thing I have done to the car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Remember the "fuel cooler" is cooling the relatively small amount of fuel that is being RETURNED to the fuel tank..

I never knew that...But then again I never thought much about the raditor either. How hot is the return fuel for someone to worry about it being hot...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is the fuel cooler really nessasry on a rover75 cdti,every other diesel car I have owned has not had one, will it affect the car much it is bypassed, thanks will-p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts