MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
By logging mileage against fuel added to fill the tank every time you can calculate an average consumption. As you have all computers put the figures on an Excel or Works Spreadsheet and it calculates it for you. Include price paid and you can see price per mile. At the end of a year calculate average, max and min over that period. You will also notice that during the winter months your average drops. If you are going to change fuel suppliers you need to look at any change over a few fill ups. By calculating price per mile you will see if changing suppliers/ premium diesel/ additives is really cost efficient.

I have figures and yearly graphs (including 2 "y" axis -mpg & Cost/mile) from the day I bought the car new in 2000 (45 IL Diesel). This way you can track consumption over its life.

It has an overall average of 47 mpg. I have achieved 54 and 50 is not uncommon without additives or Superdiesel. Most of my driving is town & country driving with a light foot.

Calculating by miles per tank full is not a very accurate method. I always fill up at a quarter tank rather than run out and cause fuel pump problems.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Calculating by miles per tank full is not a very accurate method. I always fill up at a quarter tank rather than run on fumes and suck up the sludge from the tank bottom.
You do realise that the fuel pickup is ALWAYS at the bottom of the tank so if there was sludge and dirt in there it would suck it up anyway??

1 - 2 of 2 Posts