MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay

Just bought my car (on monday) as some of you know. However later in the day on monday I was offered (and accepted) a job which will involve quite a bit of driving short distances to various locations within a 40mile radius of the office.

Now.

Cost me approximately £50 to fill my tank up wednesday - and its half full now (forgot to check the mileage when i came in)

In my old car the second half seemed to go faster than the first - can someone please tell me that in the MGF the first half goes faster than the second.

Also. How much fuel do they usually consume or how many miles should i be able to cover.

It worries me that this job with wear and tear etc on the car will leave me needing to sell this on much sooner than anticipated. Plus im not keen on putting so many miles on it

Any advice info etc...

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,119 Posts
You should be able to get around 350 to 400 miles on a tank dependent on traffic conditions heavy right foot etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about wear and tear most F's and TF's seem to be better for being used properly.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Agreed, to be honest, although its a performance car, it does well on short journeys and will give better fuel economy than most 1 1/2 ton wobbly lumps of saloons.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
I think the F is crap for fuel consumption... ok/quite good on motorways...

But then I didn't get a sports car to be fuel economical... and I drive it for fun/in an uneconomical way...

·
Registered
mgf
97 Posts
Agree

Night blast, sun blast, motoway blast and blasst blast!!!
LOL, no wet blast though, they can end in disaster....

I usually get 600-700kms from a tank (i work 10 mins away from work)... I dont drive conservatively in any sense of the word....

The beauty of the F/TF is the small difference between city and country driving fuel consumption, they are cheap on the juice.

BTW my fuel guage gives me a heap more kms out of the bottom half (top half is only 20L when filling...)

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
I was quite impressed by the fuel consumption. The car does well despite my driving, about 32 - 40 MPG. If you do short journeys though remember to take it for a long blast every week or you might start getting mayo in the dipstick.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm getting somewhere around 35mpg I think. I'm impressed that my 1.8 MGF seems to use less juice than my previous 1.6 MX5.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
My personal record with the F has been almost 900 kms....
driving from south to north ... behind lorries :haha: intentionally test

·
Registered
359 Posts
if you are sensible and don't drive with a lead right foot it is quite easy to get an average of 35mpg around town. I reguarily get between 34 and 39 depending on how much motorway cruising I do.

For a car of this class it's extremely economical. Plus, £50 should be the maximum you ever put in it. (only a 50ltr tank)

Expect to get between 350 - 400 miles per full tank easily.

the guage on my TF is vague at the best of times, so if yours makes any sudden leaps dont panic, just make sure you know your mileage :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I do a 30 mile round trip every day. Speed varies from a 10 mph crawl to a 80+ dash on a dual carraigeway and if I don't use it in winter I use half a tank Sunday to Friday. I did a trip from Kettering to Glasgow A14, M6, M74, M8 on a full tank recently!

I also put 60000 miles on an S reg in 3 years with onky a sticking throttle cable to moan about. As ChrisT says, they are built to use.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My TF135 does 38-42mpg, but only very occasionally does a short journey. The fuel gauge is inaccurate for the first quarter of a tank from full, but surprisingly accurate thereafter.

Nigel

·
Registered
153 Posts
I do a 70 mile round trip to work daily and then once I'm at work I usually have 5 visits to make that are normally within a 20 miles radius from work. I've always been quite impressed with the fuel consumption with my 'f although admittedly I do notice alot more wear and tear. If I'm honest, my cars been in the garage more recently than its been out. Luckily I've just got a new job closer to home so this might reduce it.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
here's a tip i used to do a heck of a lot of miles...but never fill the car up to the top. it makes the car heavier meaning you'll use more petrol to get somewhere.

i always just drive around on the first bar can do around just over 150miles before it gets around just above red. so big improvement compared to filling it to the top.

obviously if you are going somewhere where you are not fermilar with and you don't know where the petrol stations are i don't sugest this =p

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
here's a tip i used to do a heck of a lot of miles...but never fill the car up to the top. it makes the car heavier meaning you'll use more petrol to get somewhere.

Sounds like a good excuse to leave the OH at home, I'm sure Mrs Codger weighs more than 1/2 a tank of petrol!

·
Registered
846 Posts
With my F vvc I manage to average high 30's to 40 through varied driving which envolves approx' 10 mile round trip to work each day on town and A road, local running around for shopping/diy activities, A road, dual carriageway and motorway quick runs to visit family and at least once a week a good blast along the A303 and across Salisbury Plain:) . Well on the tarmac roads that is, don't think a F would last very long on the more interesting bits out there:D . So for the level of performance and fun I think you can't complain at the fuel consumption.:cloud9:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hmmm. My '99 VVC typically does 30mpg on the 11 mile traffic/motorway commute to work, and I dont consider myself that heavy footed. The furthest I've ever been on a tank was 403 miles driving around Cornwall, mostly on A roads.

So I think fuel economy is fairly crap, but hey, I didnt buy it to be practical! (Also, our other car is a 23 year old mini mayfair easily capable of 60mpg.)

Oh, since no-one else has mentioned it, dont forget your 'eserve tank' - the petrol tank is saddle shaped but the gauge and fuel line draw from the n/s. If it looks like your running out, brake suddenly or take a tight right turn and you'll easily get an extra couple of 'notches' of petrol, good for 30-50 miles!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts