MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a near miss whilst at the petrol station yesterday. Came to replace the cap and guess what? The key became stuck in the cap, big time. After a lot off tugging wiggling and a lot of bad language in my head it eventually came out, but I was holding the cap.

What to do? Try again and risk getting it stuck again. Not a chance, I carefully drove home with the cap off (less than a mile) I know it was wrong but hay ho. Back home a good squirt of WD40 and a lot of wiggling about it freed up just fine. I wonder if anyone has experianced this?

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Yes it’s not that uncommon. The fuel cap is open to the elements and when you undo it at the fuel station- isnt there always a ton of sh 1 around the entrance to the fuel tank, that we think- ill clean that off when i get home, then forget to!
ive had it happen to me on one of my Firms bikes in a motorway fuel station . That was on a 3 year old bike and I couldnt get the tank OPEN so thankfully the older GS's had exposed torx screws, so I bought a tool to undo them all and fill up. Firms bikes get regulary run down and i had nowt but a few miles left when that happened.
Same issue- Tank prone to whatever the weather or jet-washer lobs at it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yep happened to me in my new to me TF a few year's ago, previous owner had failed to clear the **** around the cap and keep the mechanism maintained, some choice words and panic released it.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
743 Posts
I've had a devil of a time trying to get the key out as well. A friend, that was a locksmith by trade, suggested lubricating the lock with Tri Flow chain lubricant, Industrial Lubrication with PTFE | Tri-Flow - high performance penetrating lubricant, which I picked up at a local bike shop. It worked really well in the lock; the key no longer sticks. I've lubricated all the locks on my F with it.

In winter's past, the driver's door lock on my LR D1 was always sticky and hard to turn. After using the Tri Flow lubricant in the dock lock, the lock turns easily with the key, even in -20C.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts