MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
Joined
·
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been touched on in other topics...but does anyone use any fuel additives to help clean various parts of the engine?

I use the Forte diesel cleaner once a year in my other car, and they have something called 'Gas Treatment'.

Was wondering if anyone has ever given it a whirl?

cheers

mikef
 

·
Registered
mg_tf
Joined
·
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BPR160 said:
Use Optimax for a while.
Following one of the other threads, I filled up with BP Ultimate earlier today. Was going to give it a try for a couple of weeks, but thought I would flush through with something substantial as I probably wont use it all the time...and most of my journeys are short...

ta

mikef
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
I've put Redex in a few times, and maybe it's just my imagination but it does seem to run more smoothly for a while afterwards, especially if the tank has been run low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
Used slick 50 in the oil a few times, seems to do the job!! Only used optimax a few times, it just seems to empty the wallet faster!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
cjmillsnun said:
Please tell me you are not serious about putting slick 50 in your engine...
Yes and why?? its used extensively all over, and they do all types depending on the oil that you run (synthetic or semi) prolongs the life of engines, used in race applications, cant see why you have a problem with that???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,968 Posts
Optimax & BP Ultimate both have detergents in them, and from the test EVO magazine did last year that's all you'll ever need. 5000 miles using optimax had decoked all the valves and piston crowns to an almost new finish.
Tested it myself a while back and despite being a bit pricier, the claims of better mpg stayed true for me (about 3mpg better), so ends up costing no more or less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,819 Posts
IanS said:
Yes and why?? its used extensively all over, and they do all types depending on the oil that you run (synthetic or semi) prolongs the life of engines, used in race applications, cant see why you have a problem with that???
Perhaps you would like to read this

and explain why DuPont (PTFE manufacturers) don't advise putting PTFE in an engine...

Also google slick 50, and you will find other sites explaining why slick 50 and other engine oil additives should never be put in an engine.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/..._Oil__Is_That_Additive_Really_A_Negative.html
 

·
Registered
mg_tf
Joined
·
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
G

·
STEVEN_NORFIELD said:
Optimax & BP Ultimate both have detergents in them, and from the test EVO magazine did last year that's all you'll ever need. 5000 miles using optimax had decoked all the valves and piston crowns to an almost new finish.
Tested it myself a while back and despite being a bit pricier, the claims of better mpg stayed true for me (about 3mpg better), so ends up costing no more or less.
Is that right? These 'higher quality' fuels can actually clean your engine to that extent??? If that is the case, is it worth me switching...? Are we talking the 97ron stuff?
 

·
In the Garage
MG TF
Joined
·
33,460 Posts
Yes but you don’t necessarily need the expensive higher-octane petrol to get a fuel with a good detergent package. Shell, BP and Texaco all are known to use a good detergent package in all of their fuels. I run my car almost exclusively on Texaco and emissions recorded MOT are much lower then they were a year ago and I put this down to the quality of the fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,968 Posts
Andie B said:
Is that right? These 'higher quality' fuels can actually clean your engine to that extent??? If that is the case, is it worth me switching...? Are we talking the 97ron stuff?
Absolutely, I've had the head off a 16 valve renault engine (namely my old one) that used to run on it and whilst it wasn't exactly like new, everything was in good condition at 137k......

Although people say about the higher price, it does get offset by the increased MPG (I get about +3 mpg) so cost is near as dammit the same. besides, your only talking about £1 a tankfull anyway.
 

·
Registered
mg_tf
Joined
·
198 Posts
.may i add to what chris said about quality fuel
i took an advanced driving course the same week i bought the F, the instructor,a pro ,who tutors rally drivers and the like told me to use a good quality fuel always in the F, i trusted him considering he helped me get over my
poor enjoyment of the car due to my seating position and clutch control and transformed the way i drive in 3 hrs

99 % of what the F drinks is shell optimax with a lil texaco all i know is its smooth compared to other F's and their owners agree when they drive mine

i wouldnt want to make anyone paronoid but im going on what an expert told me to do granted i dont do monster miles and if i did i might think of the cost a lil more
but i will try to keep up the ritual of juicing with the good stuff
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top