MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did post this on another thread but nobody replyed so ill do it again here:

On saturday i went to newcastle, on the way into the journey my left/right front wheel statrted screaming, and when i pressed the brake pedal or turned the steering wheel the noise dissappeared, i now have like a strange clicking noise instead of the screaming noise.

Could this be a bearing or could it be brake related???

Bob

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
you won't know until you check under the car, turn the wheel and hear where the clicking comes from.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Could be Bearings or CV joint/gaiter. I'd be having the wheels off and taking a look at the brake system and hub componants too.

·
Banned
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you won't know until you check under the car, turn the wheel and hear where the clicking comes from.
Did this and theyre was nothing, no noise at all.

the noise will come and go. one minute its theyre the next its not, ive checked all the tyres for stones etc etc.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
if it was the brakes the car would have steered in one direction or the other when the problem occured.

·
Banned
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if it was the brakes the car would have steered in one direction or the other when the problem occured.
no it didnt do that either, it was a long journey could heat from the discs cause it to make a noise like that.

Can little stones get behind the calipers, or can it catch on something and make it click

·
Registered
34 Posts
I Had Somthing similar Happen To Me It Turned Out That The Rubber Gaiter Surrounding The CV Joint Had Split And That Allowed All The Grease To Pass Out So My Joint Started To Run Dry I Just Filled It BACK UP With Grease And Re Joined The Gaiter With Glue It Worked And It Even PasseD Its Mot

·
Registered
rover_45
712 Posts
Take it that's Newcastle on Tyne rather than Newcastle under Lyme?

Ok so it's not really relevant.......

My previous 420 (non abs) did something similar and it would come and go, sometimes squealed like a bearing was on the way out. Turned out to be the piston sticking in one of the calipers but not enough to affect the braking or steering although I suspect the disc was also slightly out of true.

The vehicle had solid discs and the calipers were silly money compared to the vented type so i took it off, cleaned everything up and carefully depressed the piston. Loads of copperslip between the piston and pad on reassembly and it didn't bother me again.

Worth a try?

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
111 Posts
I got a stone trapped between the rear o/s disc and the shield on the inside once. Made a hellish screamin noise, I bricked it cos I thought it was the bearin (and I was on hols 100miles from home), but on quick inspection, flicked the stone out and breathed a sigh of relief!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts