MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What sort of job is it replacing a noisy wheel bearing on a n/s front wheel on a 1997 400 1.6 k series twin cam car?

Cheers,

Ian...

·
Registered
57 Posts
CaptainSossige said:
Hi,

What sort of job is it replacing a noisy wheel bearing on a n/s front wheel on a 1997 400 1.6 k series twin cam car?

Cheers,

Ian...
ive got a noisey front bearing on my rover 45.been asking the same question myself.how bad is yours?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You'll need a press of some sort,not ness hydraulic,and assemble in correct order.It's a strange bearing,sort of two bearings in one.When pressing off old or wrongly assembling new they seperate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's only a slight noise, but it was flagged on yesterday's MOT as a recommendation (although it's not too bad at the mo).

I think i might take it to a garage to be done! (I'm no mechanic)

How much is the part? What sort of labour do you think i'll be looking at?

·
Registered
57 Posts
CaptainSossige said:
It's only a slight noise, but it was flagged on yesterday's MOT as a recommendation (although it's not too bad at the mo).

I think i might take it to a garage to be done! (I'm no mechanic)

How much is the part? What sort of labour do you think i'll be looking at?
when i jack car up and spin wheel its seems ok but when load is on its noisey.some one said they were £28 each?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Fodenman said:
You'll need a press of some sort,not ness hydraulic,and assemble in correct order.It's a strange bearing,sort of two bearings in one.When pressing off old or wrongly assembling new they seperate.
can you give a bit more info on the type of bearing?2 bearings in 1 ???? thanks

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Book time around one and half hours,from memory bearing around £28 from factors.If advisory shouldn't think it's much to worry about.If he felt any play to speak of it would have failed.
Manny,was it you I replied to the other day,you had worn discs?Or is every body fitting 17's now the suns come out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
manny said:
when i jack car up and spin wheel its seems ok but when load is on its noisey.some one said they were £28 each?
Try wiggling the wheel when jacked up - try all angles and feel/listen for play or clicks...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Fodenman said:
Book time around one and half hours,from memory bearing around £28 from factors.If advisory shouldn't think it's much to worry about.If he felt any play to speak of it would have failed.
Manny,was it you I replied to the other day,you had worn discs?Or is every body fitting 17's now the suns come out?
yes it was me you replied to about my worn discs.im sure its a bearing now as there is a bit of play in the wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts