MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have a 98 Mk1 F and have blown one of the front door speakers, has been getting bad for a while as it got quite wet a few times with an old hood leak. Can anyone reccomend a nice off the shelf replacement, I have a Sony head unit that is rated at 4 x 45w, there seem to be so many makes and prices?

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
I have a set of these fusions ready to go in. I cant say how good they'll be, I can say that £49.99 is a good price, I paid £85 for mine. They feel like quality items (i.e. they weigh a ton) and I've heard some good things about them. They're 4 ohm which you'll need for your head unit (use 2 ohm speakers and you'll cook the internal amp).

Fusion Speakers

Other good ones that people usually suggest are the infinity's, and TBH as long as you stick to a decent name brand (JBL, Alpine, JL Audio, Kenwood etc, you won't go far wrong when you consider the original F ones are pretty crud.

For more speaker advice, take a trip down to MGCARS.org and scroll down. There's some useful info there. about the speaker rings you'll need to make (or just buy some Vectra 6.5" adapters which is easier and fit with self tappers).

·
Registered
mg_tf
144 Posts
If you are feeling like splashing out then these would fit the bill:-

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-spr17c-p-5663.html?cadid=dd0338a91f7b2b9996b282cd8242341d

I have the component versions (separate mid/bass and tweeter) and am very pleased with them.

Dont forget to watch the depth of the speaker, 60mm is about max.
Found some for £65.95 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B000WDUFHS/new

I've never bought from Amazon before though, are they ok?

Does anyone know what the stocks in the TF's are rated at? Mine sound pretty good, even the bass is ok. I'm just wondering if the previous owner might have upgraded them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Was listening to some 6.5" speakers in halfords recently and was mostly impressed with the Infinity reference.
Agreed I had them in a near competition set up I have had before and have got a set sitting waiting to go in to the F. Only thing is I don't think the 6.5s will fit snugly - may take a bit of chopping about. With the RF amp though should be worth it tho ;oD

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have looked at these in halfords (Alpine SXE-1725S 16.5cm) they seem quite a nice sound, will a 16.5cm unit be a straight swap fot the OEM ones, I hope to just drill out the old rivets on the old units and rivet these straight in? Cheers

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Had the same speaker door problem, been on and off for a while, friday I took the door card off, 'fiddled' with the connections a bit, wd40ed them, put them back on, been working fine ever since... I guess if you've actually blown it then thats not going to work though.

Did see a fair few oem ones on ebay for a fiver, if you were looking to not spend £££...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, yes i need to replace them as there is a split in the cone, just wanted to be sure it was 16.5cm and not 17cm size cones in need to buy as they both seem to be sold as 6.5" Cheers

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
Have looked at these in halfords (Alpine SXE-1725S 16.5cm) they seem quite a nice sound, will a 16.5cm unit be a straight swap fot the OEM ones, I hope to just drill out the old rivets on the old units and rivet these straight in? Cheers
The SXE-1725S are a direct replacement for the OEM ones, you are correct in thinking that you need to drill the rivets and then re-rivet straight back in.

Oh, the speakers just unscrew too, no drilling required, I think[?]
You need to unscrew the speaker pods from the door and then drill the rivets out, thats once the rivets have been exposed by lifting the foam surround, to release the speakers from the speaker pods

I'm pretty sure they were 16.5, the oem ones, I did note it down when I thought I might be buying some and that sounds familiar...
OEM speakers are 170mm x 60mm deep, the holes for the above Alpine speaker will line up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, it seems some of your recommend the JBL 627`s and i would rather go with a tried and tested option, my Sony head unit is rated a 45W per channel into 4ohms, but the JBL`s are rated 2ohms is this a problem? (I know years ago it was an issue for home Hi-Fi, Cheers

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, I will stick with the original plan for for the Alpine`s then as they are 4 ohm, to be honest as long as they sound as good as the OEM`s it will be fine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.