MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 825 Sterling with very soft front shockies. i need to replace them cause the car just dosn't corner well.
I am finding it hard to find good ones from wreckers, will others from other 600/800 Rovers fit without major modifications?

G

·
I believe that the shocks from mk2 800s will fit - you'll probably need the mk2 top mounts, though, as mk1 and mk2 have different mounts.

You may find that mk1 Honda legend ones fit - the car was a joint design effort.

Given the poor state of the US dollar at the moment, it may pay to import from the USA. www.rockauto.com sell front shocks for the "Sterling 825" (as it was badged there) for about $53 US each and with shipping to NZ that works out at $223 US

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Rover 800 adict.
I take it that my car might be a mk1 Sterling?
And the Honda Legend mk1 should be about the same age (1987) so if I was to look for Legend shockies, might I be looking for the v6 legend? maybe because of the extra weight of the engine.
I'll look up that web site as well.

Thanks, Brian.

G

·
Yours is indeed a mk1 Sterling (lovely car, by the way) and very similar to the Legend V6 of the same age.

I can't be 100% certain that the Legend shocks will fit, but it must be worth a look.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that, i'll go to a wrecker tomorrow (Monday) and check to see what they have. hopefully they are similar.
I agree with you, the Sterling is a quality car,even though it is 20 years old now and a few things don't work like new anymore, usual stuff like heater fan on full, air con don't work, electric mirrors don't work, bit of a graunch when shifting from reverse, one engine mount is stuffed, and a few silly little things, all of which don't really matter too much to me because I like driving the car.
The last owner lunched the motor just after the oil light came on, so a near new motor was installed and has about 65000km on it. It is a strong motor and really has some power. I'll put up a photo on the other post (calling 800 owners) today.
Cheers Brian.

G

·
Probably slightly more than £9 to NZ!

Mk1 and mk2 shocks are different, but with the appropriate top mount will fit (as I understand it).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, i'll look and purchase some shockies tonight. Just got back from out of town.
I would put up a pic of my mk1 Rover but it seems very complicated to do this , such a pity cause it's a nice original car in dark blue with it's Rover mag wheels and original Rover radio etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts