MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, as part of my hunt for coolant leaks I removed the front bumper to get access to the radiator etc.

As a few "How do I" type questions come up about bumper removal, I have taken a few photos.

The Front bumper is held in 4 main places.

Across the top of the grill (5 x Cross Head Screws)
Inside the wheel arch (2 x Cross Head Screws on each side)
Underneath the radiator (2 x Cross Headed Plastic Screws)
In the recesses each side of the number plate (2 x T50 Torx Screws)

I started by removing the 5 screws at the top.

Then I removed the front wheel arch liners. There are 2 metal cross head screws on the front edge of the arch and one on the rear edge.

and 3 pastic trim cross head screws at the back of the arch, holding the liner in place.

Once all of the liner screws are removed you can remove the liner. Start by peeling the liner from the front of the arch

Until the whole liner is released and it can be pulled out over the wheel.

Then remove the 4 cross headed screws (2 each side) holding the bumper to the wing.

If you have foglights, you can now disconnect the plugs to each light. Using thumb and forefinger squeeze (or push) the rear edges of the plug together to release it and pull towards you.

While you are under the car, there are 2 plastic trim screws that secure the underside of the bumper to a central strap. Remove these. You may need a right angled screwdriver or need to remove the plastic panel behind to gain access with a normal screwdriver.

Now lie something soft in front of the bumper in case it falls to prevent it getting scratched.

You can now remove the two Torx screws holding the bumper to the chassis.

Attachments

·
Registered
33,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
You can now carefully remove the bumper by pulling it towards you from the centre. Place the bumper somewhere where it cannot be damaged.

And that is the bumper removed.

Refitting will be the reverse, but do not tighten the bolts and screws untill you have fitted them all in place.

While the liners are out it is worth checking the inner wings. One point of concern is the rear lower part of the wing where it gets packed full of crud which will hold moisture in place and speed up corrosion in this area. Clean out and add waxoil or similar.

Hope this inspires you all to take your bumpers off.

Well worth doing just to check the state of your radiator and hoses.

I have since replaced the 2 screws that attach the bottom of the bumper to the strap with 2 bolts. The original plastic trim screws had pulled out and didn't seem up to the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
I'm not sure if the TF is the same as the F (it does seem that removing and fitting is identical), but there is a small positional retaining lug on the front wings that the upper rim of the bumper slots into (near the rearmost part of the bumper). When you refit the bumper, it is an idea to put a couple of layers of masking tape (or similar) loosely round these lugs until you are ready to refit the bumper at the sides. This will avoid the possibility of scratching the top edge of the bumper

·
Registered
240 Posts
I dont know if this is a TF addition, but when I took my bumper off a couple of months ago it was hanging off a strap from the centre of the bumper to just under the radiator. I had to replace it to get at the strap. So if you have a TF check for this first , and if you have one undo it.

·
Registered
33,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know if this is a TF addition, but when I took my bumper off a couple of months ago it was hanging off a strap from the centre of the bumper to just under the radiator. I had to replace it to get at the strap. So if you have a TF check for this first , and if you have one undo it.
Actually, that does remind me. There are two screws at the very bottom of the bumper, which, as you say, attach somewhere around the bottom of the rad.

Mine weren't attached, which is why I forgot about them. Will try to take some photos tomorrow when I finish off refitting the bumper.

·
Registered
mgf
3,976 Posts
CJJ, don't stop there, I have a new radiator on its way up from the UK, as you have gone so far you may as well pop the radiator out so I will know the whole deal :)

Nice "how to" by the way.

·
Registered
33,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If only you had said sooner. The bumper is nearly back on now. :)

Hope the rest helps.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Surpassed yourself again CJJ - another top how to :broon:

You'll be running out of space for all those rep boxes soon :lol:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Actually, that does remind me. There are two screws at the very bottom of the bumper, which, as you say, attach somewhere around the bottom of the rad.

Mine weren't attached.
Mine were and I could NOT get the buggers off, so had to leave it hanging while I worked stooped over to get to the inside. Grumble grumble.

Also.. ouch.. and I thought my rims were bad. Urge to clean your car and rust treat your rims.. rising. Why am I such a perfectionist.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts