MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mg_6_magnette
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just installed a new amp in my car, after finding many earth points on the car i set about wiring it up, now its coming on but its switching to the protect function about 2 seconds after switching on the ignition, the earth and other wires are fine so im guessing the amps cooked, am i right or am i not, cos i just paid a lot of money for this amp and it was in working order when i bought.

p.s. i checked all fuses and if it helps its a in-phase ipa-900 series amp

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
checked for any fraying of the wires? I had a similar issue and it was simply a fine strand of wire touching the positive and the metal casing causing a short which made the safety mode trip on.. could be worth going over the terminals with a hoover or similar maybe..

·
Registered
mg_6_magnette
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ooooohh thats something i never thought of, i shall go and have a look now, thankyou very much

*edit* tried it, thanks for the input but looks like theres something wrong with the amp, should i try a m8's amp in my car just to make sure?

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
have you checked your grounds been well stripped where it meets the body of the car? If you havent sanded the paint away where youve bolted it down, It could also cause the problem.. if so, yep, could be worth trying your m8's amp if so to tell if yours has had it or not.

·
Registered
mg_6_magnette
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i filed the area where the earth meets the body so its bare metal, i know it works cos i had my old amp there, i found summat new today though, i started gettin feedbackfrom my h/u so the amp might be alive and 1 of the cables from the h/u may be dodgy, it was a lot more simple the first time i did it lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts