MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove past my local MG dealer today (Friarsgate) and noticed that they have put their MG stock back in the most prominent position on the forcourt.

They moved over to Ford after the collapse of MGR but have continued to stock a small selection of MG's.

They have also continued to keep the lit MGR totem sign at the front despite moving over to Ford signage which now covers their showroom.

I noticed that they have around 5 new looking MG's right next to the sign which is on the corner of a major junction in Lichfield. They used to keep the MG stock at the back near to the bus station and I was wondering if this may be a positive sign or that they may have signed up with nanjing to sell MG's when they go back on sale:_poke:.

-Rob-
 

·
Registered
mg_zr
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, I got my ZR from their just after the factory claosed (had it on order before hand). They seem to all bee MG fanatics. Was just curious as to whay a ford garage would be putting MG's in the best position. I think it's great :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
the garage at tamworth is still an mg rover dealership it was going to be a honda dealership but Friarsgate kept it as mg-rover and they have loads of unregistered cars their think they have just took it to the lichfield garage as the one in tamworth is'nt in a good spot.

if you dont know wheir the tamworth garage is its opposite the uci
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
From what my dad tells me (Im no longer 'local') the whole palce is due to be torn down in the near future as part of the general renewal of that part of Lichfield. Damn shame, but hopefully they'll get a spanky new showroom ready for the next-gen Rovers
 

·
Registered
mg_zr
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mrhappy said:
the garage at tamworth is still an mg rover dealership it was going to be a honda dealership but Friarsgate kept it as mg-rover and they have loads of unregistered cars their think they have just took it to the lichfield garage as the one in tamworth is'nt in a good spot.

if you dont know wheir the tamworth garage is its opposite the uci
Opposite Frankie and Benny's?

-Rob-
 

·
Registered
mg_zr
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
david_r_bates said:
From what my dad tells me (Im no longer 'local') the whole palce is due to be torn down in the near future as part of the general renewal of that part of Lichfield. Damn shame, but hopefully they'll get a spanky new showroom ready for the next-gen Rovers
From what I hear, they were moving to the A38/A5 Island By Esporta.

-Rob-
 

·
Registered
mg_zs
Joined
·
364 Posts
It looks like Friarsgate Tamworth is going under as they have no mechanics any more and the parts counter has closed and if you need anything it all has to go through service now
and the stock of all the new cars has gone aswell along with the old Btcc car that was in the window for display
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,430 Posts
Rob25 said:
I know, I got my ZR from their just after the factory claosed (had it on order before hand). They seem to all bee MG fanatics. Was just curious as to whay a ford garage would be putting MG's in the best position. I think it's great :)
Because they got them for a song and have thousands of profit margin in them, whereas Fords.......

Ford in Batley, west Yorkshire also have MG's at the front too.
 
G

·
Evans Halshaw Batley are part of Pendragon. I've heard that they are to take on the MG franchise when production re-starts. The site is big enough to warrant two franchises.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,430 Posts
e668ecp said:
Evans Halshaw Batley are part of Pendragon. I've heard that they are to take on the MG franchise when production re-starts. The site is big enough to warrant two franchises.
Wonder if Clemo will take MG back on? Mind you, showroom is small and already overcrowded, but still, by the sounds of it, onlyneed space for TF for a while.
 

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
2,596 Posts
e668ecp said:
Evans Halshaw Batley are part of Pendragon. I've heard that they are to take on the MG franchise when production re-starts. The site is big enough to warrant two franchises.
Both our Ford and Vauxhall dealerships here are Evans Halshaw. Recently the Vauxhall dealership has been flogging 'new' MGRs too!
 
G

·
Pendragon (Evans Halshaw / Stratstone / Reg Vardy) appear to be retailing MG Rovers from all their prominent dealerships.

Their Leeds based dealer is still actively trading as an MG Rover dealer first, followed by Hyundai/Corvette/GM big thingy second
 
G

·
James Riley said:
Wonder if Clemo will take MG back on? Mind you, showroom is small and already overcrowded, but still, by the sounds of it, onlyneed space for TF for a while.
Well their used car centre is massively stocked with MG Rover more so that FIAT or Daihatsu (for which they hold sales/service/parts main dealer franchises for), so "yes" I think Clemo will come back.

If I had to guess the following dealerships will become MG in West Yorkshire:

Evans Halshaw Leeds (currently MG Rover)
Evans Halshaw Bradford (in the old Jaguar/SAAB/BMW/Mini showroom near Bradford forster Square)
Arnold Clark Huddersfield (currently a huge used site)
JCT600 Wakefield (in the old Seat site near Car People)
Evans Halshaw Batley (in the Ford building)
Clemo Cleckheaton (currently MG Rover)

Sunwin could also bring back a dealer in Keighley/Shipley/Guiseley Area
 
G

·
Dr Dave said:
Can't see Ford being too happy about the MG display!
Tough **** really they can't afford to loose dealers like Pendragon Group.

Reg Vardy Citroen Leeds has MG's and Rovers right on the front of their pitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
i wonder if colliers in Erdington will keep selling MG Rover products, the signs are still up but looks like they may be soon to go, as there seems to be a reshuffle going on
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top