MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone, as the post title reads, I am a new MG owner. ALWAYS followed the brand and super excited about my new purchase.

I manage to pick up a ZR 160 for R40 000 South African Rand (Roughly 2000 pounds, yes I know pretty expensive but keep in mind in SA you would still pay more than this for a Mk1 vw Golf) and I'm busy with a few minor maintenance issues to get it going.

My intention is to use this as a daily driver and do the occasional Track Day. My other car is a BMW X6 50i and it is just too expensive to run on a daily basis.

I might ask a few silly or stupid questions but please here me out, I want to make my ownership as pleasurable as I possibly can.

Questions:

- I've read a lot about the head gasket issues on these. While the car is with the mechanic right now to do a thorough check, should I just replace the headgasket now before I get problems? Will/could it prevent future issues?

-Car is sitting on 132000km, Cambelt was done 4 years ago. Best to do it again now just to be sure I'm fine or leave it a bit?

-What was the recommended manufacturers service intervals? I typically service all my previous cars every 10 000km or 12 months, would you do it more frequently or is this fine?

-The display in the dash for the clock is not working anymore, Can I just disconnect it or live with the buggered LCD display?

-I believe the car has H7 bulbs, I intend to do a HID conversion on the lights, anyone done it before? Interference with the electronics?

-Anything else to watch out for?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1998 Rover 200 SE 1.1 8v
39 Posts
known for blowing headgaskets, if possible do a conversion to an N series head gasket
Apparently you should never use an N series gasket on a k series. There are reasons for this but I can't quite remember. Go for an improved k series gasket instead.

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,725 Posts
I personally would only change the HG if it has failed. Usually the car consumes coolant or oil is contaminated with coolant. If the coolant is stable, I’d leave alone. I tend to change belt 60k miles or 6 years. In you’re situation I’d need to convince myself it was changed four years ago, I’d take the belt cover off and judge by condition whether it needed changing. If in doubt, just change. Annual/ 12k is fine for services. I never do 12k a year, so my oil get changed at less miles. You could put in an interim change at 6k if the cars a keeper. Ok to disconnect the clock. Some replace with dash clocks from eBay that can be adjusted to fit. I’ve a clock on my ICE in the 25. With the H7, you could get some blue look bulbs or night-breakers. I’ve not done a HID conversion, so can’t advise on that. Welcome! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts