MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thought I'd run this passed you.

My mum has a Hitachi LCD TV, probably 2 or 3 years old now, and she's been moaning to me about some little issues that I think are down to poor Freeview signal.

One that is annoying that I haven't seen anywhere before is, after watching a specific channel for a while, if you change the channel there is no sound, and a message comes up to say something like "Service unavailable".

If you change to any other channel, you always get this message and no sound, until you turn the TV off and on again, and then everything is OK.

Is this a fault with the TV (built in tuner), or the old aerial cable? The cable goes up to a new freeview aerial that is in the loft, but to be fair, they have had an aerial in the loft for as long as I can remember!!

I keep thinking that either:
a) the aerial needs to go outside on the chimney, or
b) the old aerial cable (30+ years old) should be replaced, or
c) both of these should be done

Has anyone got any ideas??!!

·
In the Garage
mg_tf
32,807 Posts
It does sound like a signal problem, the TV may not be faulty as such but it’s possible that the tuner section isn’t very sensitive with a weak signal.

I would look at other houses around, are the aerial’s generally outside – if they are then that is an indicator that the aerial may need to be put outside. It’s also possible that as you say the cable may have losses.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Has 4g gone live in the area recently?

Also you mention about cable etc, but is the actual aerial relatively new or an old one. The newer ones are typically much larger and different models can help with weak signal areas?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The aerial is new but is in the loft where the old one used to be. The cable is the same one that was used with the old aerial.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also yes most aerials around are outside. The 4g question - I believe the area did go to 4g because I got sent a filter by the Freeview people but it made no difference....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts