MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of adapting a few things to do with the Haldex 4x4 computer on a Freelander 2 but need to know how it wires up to the car.

Does the haldex ECU connect to the Engine ECU or does it run independently via a 12V source and transmission sensors?

If it doesn't, does anyone have any photos of the connections so I have an idea of what I would need in terms of loom.

The job is going to be transplanting the Haldex system onto another vehicle so I need to know if the Engine ECU needs to be compatible or whether it just runs off fitted sensors and it's own brains.

Also whilst we're here, does anyone know if the rear differential runs as an open diff or an LSD. I know the Haldex is a plate clutch system but given the Freelander's 90/10 power split I'm not sure they would have fitted an LSD to the rear box or not.

If not are there ways of fitting one if required?

Thanks in advance, I know these aren't run of the mill questions like "how do I change my oil?".

Finding suitable technical docs is proving to be a bit difficult.

·
Registered
mg_zs
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That would be useful to implement but it doesn't quite answer what I need to know which is if the Haldex system is independent of the Engine ECU or whether it requires input to operate.

If it doesn't then I can install a mechanical Torsen C but it would make life easier as I can fit the Haldex with a rear diff already with it saving cost and time.

I don't want to install a permanent central locking diff if I can help it due to various power distribution reasons but it's an option if it comes to it. Though the more I read of it the more useful it seems.

Also I could make a pressure switch like that for about £5 not £200 :D

Who are they trying to kid?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts