MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have now fitted (with help from a mate) Sheddist's excellent replacement hydraulic slave and master cylinder kit, I now have a used standard working hydraulic master cylinder and slave cylinder set up going spare

It was working fine when we removed it,so as it is now taking up space in my house, it's free to anyone who wants one...............

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I know there's more information on the xpower forum somewhere but I'm not registered there, can you tell us what improvement that clutch kit does?
I'm aware of the crappiness of the standard clutch hydrolics so i'm curious to know what's improved.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
It uses proper metal master and slave cylinders instead of cheap crappy plastic ones, and you have the added luxury of a bleed nipple too!
Jim

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It uses proper metal master and slave cylinders instead of cheap crappy plastic ones, and you have the added luxury of a bleed nipple too!
Jim
Yep it's much better now thanks. The clutch is much lighter now and easier to set up.
Sheddist's kit has proper metal cylinders, the slave cylinder does indeed have a bleed nipple (you need to bleed the kit when you set it up to begin with)
and the slave cylinder has a much stronger designed bracket to support it as well.

And you get a small reservoir to fill up the hydraulic fluid.

You also get all the copper pipe and rubber hose you need to fit it, and all the nuts / bolts and clamps to do it, and instructions on a CD ROM in PDF format.

·
Registered
3 Posts
new member,in need of some help

hi de hi

Ive got a rover 75 2.0d conn se 131 on a 04 plate,the problem I'm having is the clutch is stiff when engaging,Ive looked underneath and there seems to be a reservoir above the clutch pedal,does this need refilling? or am i destine to have a left leg with a calf muscle like Arnold Schwarzenegger......

thank you
Roy

p.s the car has only done 30.000 mile

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
You may well need to lubricate the moving parts of the clutch mechanism. Unfortunately, you carn't get at half of them without removing the gearbox!
Jim

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i have had sheddist at mine tonite and that kit looks great if i ever get round to gettin a 180 then i think its getting one of those kits fitted .

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what gearbox is this kit for, pg1 or the r65. If its for the pg1 box are there any more kits left?
It's for the PG1 box as far as I know as it was the ZS180 with the PG1 box which kept having the hydraulic failures. (Mine failed twice before I got this set up.)

Send Sheddist a PM on either here or the x - power forums.
Each kit costs £145, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it any easier to get into reverce now ?

all the best.mark
Reverse is still a bit tricky, but I think that may be a quirk of the PG1 box.

I'm used to stoppping, putting the gear lever into 1st, then reverse before letting the clutch up.

The bite point in mine is now a lot lower and it's so easy to depress the pedal.

It took a bit of bleeding to sort it out, and I suspect mine may still have a bit of air in it - but it's easy enough to bleed to sort it out. (The only slight downside is the size of the hydraulic fluid reservoir - it's tiny so you have to keep topping it up when bleeding the system.)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Reverse is still a bit tricky, but I think that may be a quirk of the PG1 box.

I'm used to stoppping, putting the gear lever into 1st, then reverse before letting the clutch up.

The bite point in mine is now a lot lower and it's so easy to depress the pedal.

It took a bit of bleeding to sort it out, and I suspect mine may still have a bit of air in it - but it's easy enough to bleed to sort it out. (The only slight downside is the size of the hydraulic fluid reservoir - it's tiny so you have to keep topping it up when bleeding the system.)
Quirk ...most annoying quirk I've had on any car to date .
It's abysmal.

Imagine, if someone were to use the car as a get-away car ...they'd be arrested as soon as they tried to select reverce...

Or, if the police had the car ...and had to do some ...quick manuovering during chase...would be ok if the car they were chasing was also a rover ...lol

Glad I never bought this car new ..this would be totally unacceptable to me on a new car ...I often wonder if cars ,sold new, were returned with this as an unacceptable fault....and buyer asked for money back ..I would of !!!

The box cant be hurried thru the gears either ..
How they marketed the turbo engined and any car with this box as sporty is beyond me.

Let me know if it improves how fast you can hurry it thru the gears as well.

not that i do hurry thru the gears ...but when I try to, it's a NON STARTER.

all the best..mark

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quirk ...most annoying quirk I've had on any car to date .
It's abysmal.

Imagine, if someone were to use the car as a get-away car ...they'd be arrested as soon as they tried to select reverce...

Or, if the police had the car ...and had to do some ...quick manuovering during chase...would be ok if the car they were chasing was also a rover ...lol

Glad I never bought this car new ..this would be totally unacceptable to me on a new car ...I often wonder if cars ,sold new, were returned with this as an unacceptable fault....and buyer asked for money back ..I would of !!!

The box cant be hurried thru the gears either ..
How they marketed the turbo engined and any car with this box as sporty is beyond me.

Let me know if it improves how fast you can hurry it thru the gears as well.

not that i do hurry thru the gears ...but when I try to, it's a NON STARTER.

all the best..mark
You can change gear up and down the box speedily, but I now have to put the clutch pedal right to the floor when disengaging the clutch.

Maybe I still have some air in my system, but it does say you should end up with a "shorter" pedal after fitting.

My problems may have been exacerbated by my clutch wear as well, and my mate and I changed both clutch and fitted the sheddist kit at the same time.

I will get some brake fluid and small bore tubing and have another go at bleeding it a bit more this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts