MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol:

not what it sounds like

ok here goes, as some of you may be aware of my attemps to convert a freelander to rover L series

think its getting there but now have choices

i have 2 engines intercooled 98,000 bosch ecu
and non intercooled, 60,000 mems ecu

planning to use the intercooled bits and put them on the non i/c???? so i can fit that will i need the pump??? told i need to change the pump as well?

now i have 3 ecu,s for the engines 1 for each of them as above and a spare off an intercooled engine i've stripped

the mems was for the sd non i/c bosch was sdi i/c as is the freelander

now the next part is ... my freelander has abs, non of the engine ecu has abs but the 3rd ecu bosch off the sdi i stripped had abs.

so which ecu should i use or will work????? to have less reprogramming

what does the ecu control??? i have to have the freelander reprogrammed to to accept the ecu immob

i can understand it so i hope this makes sense to you,

thanks peeps

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
The ecu doesn't control ABS, as i found out when i swapped ECU and 5AS units between two cars of mine.

Personally i would use the sdi engine, saves having the hassle of adding the intercooler and altering the throttle cable etc.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ecu doesn't control ABS, as i found out when i swapped ECU and 5AS units between two cars of mine.

Personally i would use the sdi engine, saves having the hassle of adding the intercooler and altering the throttle cable etc.

Cheers
Skelo
was thinking that but its higher miles plus its still in car lol altering trottle cable???? isnt it the same direct to pump??

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
was thinking that but its higher miles plus its still in car lol altering trottle cable???? isnt it the same direct to pump??
No the Sdi pump is electronically controlled through what could be descibed as a drive by wire system the throttle cable is attached to a potentiometer which translates the throttle posistion into a voltage reading which is then sent to the pumps ecu via wires connecting, to control how much fuel is injected.

Hope that helps, Mark.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the Sdi pump is electronically controlled through what could be descibed as a drive by wire system the throttle cable is attached to a potentiometer which translates the throttle posistion into a voltage reading which is then sent to the pumps ecu via wires connecting, to control how much fuel is injected.

Hope that helps, Mark.

hi mark

so if i used the pump off the sdi along with the ecu that will work??
what would be the shortfall of using the sd unit in the freebie???

dean

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Dean,

Well if you go with the sdi engine that is still in the other car take that including the ecu/alarm imoboliser box etc from it and transplant it into the Freelander don't forget the potentiometer unit and throttle cable will also be required along with the ecu/engines wiring loom.

Might be quicker to do this than spend time transfering bits between sd and sdi engine blocks i know the sd has only done 68000 compared to the sdi 98000 but in my opinion the sd will probably had as much ware and tear as the sdi on more miles as it is a less capably engine and most likely been driven harder to get were its going!

On the other hand the merits of tranfering the intercooler from the sdi onto the sd engine is beside a few modifications of the throtle cable mounting posistion etc (ask Friggerpant about that he will be able to help) you would be running a mechanical pump which maybe easier to setup in your situation not requiring any real input from an ecu from what i can understand might be able to use the original Freelanders Mems type ECU still to control things or find it easier to intergrated the Diesel Mems unit into things??

Either way you deicide to go around it an intercooler is required otherwise it will be one sluggish lump! Another note is the sd mechanical pump can be manually tuned again ask Friggerpants or ETV about that Luke/Friggerpants managed to get 120BHP out of his with just fitting the intercooler off an sdi,decat, backbox and filter worth thinking about.

Probably just confused things more Sorry!

Mark

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dean,

Well if you go with the sdi engine that is still in the other car take that including the ecu/alarm imoboliser box etc from it and transplant it into the Freelander don't forget the potentiometer unit and throttle cable will also be required along with the ecu/engines wiring loom.

Might be quicker to do this than spend time transfering bits between sd and sdi engine blocks i know the sd has only done 68000 compared to the sdi 98000 but in my opinion the sd will probably had as much ware and tear as the sdi on more miles as it is a less capably engine and most likely been driven harder to get were its going!

On the other hand the merits of tranfering the intercooler from the sdi onto the sd engine is beside a few modifications of the throtle cable mounting posistion etc (ask Friggerpant about that he will be able to help) you would be running a mechanical pump which maybe easier to setup in your situation not requiring any real input from an ecu from what i can understand might be able to use the original Freelanders Mems type ECU still to control things or find it easier to intergrated the Diesel Mems unit into things??

Either way you deicide to go around it an intercooler is required otherwise it will be one sluggish lump! Another note is the sd mechanical pump can be manually tuned again ask Friggerpants or ETV about that Luke/Friggerpants managed to get 120BHP out of his with just fitting the intercooler off an sdi,decat, backbox and filter worth thinking about.

Probably just confused things more Sorry!

Mark
yep you have lol:ts:

just looked at it and the sdi has the cable going to a unit on the inner wing??potentiometer???

located a freelander engine loom which has the bosch ecu plug so can use that on sdi unit.

sd unit has a mems plug but if needs be i can rewire them,

dont think the alarm immob box is the same as freelander been told its all in one in the control unit, so think i will need it reprogrammed.

so on the sd to sdi its the pumps that are diff linked to the ecu????

so by changing the pump and i/c set up my sd will be a proper sdi???
and will this run off the sdi ecu???

so what do you think go with the sdi and all its bits or sd with intercooler bits

the sd was used by an old chap until someone used him for a target,

just want the easy fix for now lol so many cars around all needing bits doing to them just want to get em moving as i'm buying a recovery truck soon and need to set that up lol

which ever engine i use i have to remove the pump anyway as the plate behind the flywheel is different

cheers dean

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Hi Dean

The unit in the inner wing of the sdi is indeed the potetiometer,

Basically the sd pump is mechanical and the sdi pump electronic the sd having a directly link throttle cable and the sdi using the potetiometer to control the throttle input signal to the sdi electronic pump. 99% certain that the sd pump doesn't use the ecu in order for it to function apart from maybe its fuel cut off solonoid where as the SDI pump has a direct link with the ecu taking inputs through it from map/maf and boost sensors and increasing the the tick over when thing like the aircon etc is switched on.

if you have located a freelander bosch loom that to seals it use that along with which ever block you feel is the best by the sounds of it the SD one if thats the case transfer the injectors,fuel pump and intercooler bits etc over to it and you will have a full blown sdi engine.

Still alot of work involved but that to me seems to be the best all round way of sorting it using the
SD block bosch harness and electronic sdi pump and the intercooler from the sdi unit don't forget to swap injectors think they might have different break pressures between the sd and sdi.

Mark.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Dean

The unit in the inner wing of the sdi is indeed the potetiometer,

Basically the sd pump is mechanical and the sdi pump electronic the sd having a directly link throttle cable and the sdi using the potetiometer to control the throttle input signal to the sdi electronic pump. 99% certain that the sd pump doesn't use the ecu in order for it to function apart from maybe its fuel cut off solonoid where as the SDI pump has a direct link with the ecu taking inputs through it from map/maf and boost sensors and increasing the the tick over when thing like the aircon etc is switched on.

if you have located a freelander bosch loom that to seals it use that along with which ever block you feel is the best by the sounds of it the SD one if thats the case transfer the injectors,fuel pump and intercooler bits etc over to it and you will have a full blown sdi engine.

Still alot of work involved but that to me seems to be the best all round way of sorting it using the
SD block bosch harness and electronic sdi pump and the intercooler from the sdi unit don't forget to swap injectors think they might have different break pressures between the sd and sdi.

Mark.
cheers mark thats the idiot guide i needed :bgrin:

think the sd will be the best as i know it was looked after the sdi was a coppers lol so knowing them its been abused lol

hopefully thats it then will have it running in a week or so

cheers for the help

dean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts