MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Well finally got around to removing the carpet yesterday. Anyway it rained hard last night and had a look in the boot... 1/4 inch of water !!

So i dried it all up and then gave it a hose down to identify the leak. Anyway to cut the story short I found the leak. There were two leaks, the biggest leak was a gap between a small seam between two sheets of metal next to the bonnet release cable. Anyway, sealed that all up and left to dry, retested. The leak had reduced by over half...BUT still not completely! (even though the gap was very tiny it was in such a position that ALL water running off the boot into the engine bay was draining into/over it.)

Spent ages trying to locate the next position and eventually found it! It is the actual hole around the bonnet release cable! Believe it or not, some water is naturally entering that from the engine bay. It is much better but still leaking.....what is the best way of sealing that hole up. I`m a little worried about sealing around the entire hole??!! Even if I did how long would it last? Should there not be some sort of gromit around the cable and plugging into the hole?

Regards
Chris

·
Registered
846 Posts
Looking at mine the bonnet release cable has a rubber boot/ grommet attached around it into the body work on the engine side. Be no harm adding a new grommet if yours is missing. Get one the appropiate size with a hole in the middle, cut a split in it from the centre hole to fit it over the cable, fit into hole and to "belt & brace's" it cover it in silicone sealant. Or if you can't get a grommet just fill the hole with sealant:).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Martin,

Seriously thanks for taking the time to check that out for me! I was convinced that MG would have put a gromit on that, looks like mine is missing. I have filled it with sealant for now but when I find a gromit to fit or another MGF at a scrappy i`ll change it.

Once again, thanks for the time, Martin.

Chris

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
I've just spent an hour trying to work out where the leaks are in my boot...with limited success. I guess the ingress is a function of time as well as quantity (half a dozen watering cans...).

I seem to have slight leaks in three places:

1) some water just underneath the passenger side light assembly, cant quite tell how it got there tho.

2) Some water seems to just come up over the top of the rubber seal of the boot, near where the vent holes are in the boot lid (at the top at he back, if you see what I mean)

3) Some gets in around those elliptical foam pads on the rear wall of the boot - there are three on either side, and on the passenger side they are loose....not sure what function they perform.

Now, all I have to do is clean my boot of talcum powder....

mikef

1 - 5 of 5 Posts