MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys ... just a quick query about a dump valve. i fitted a forge motorsports dump valve bought from a breaking ti. its a direct replacement for the factory fit recirc, and this item looks to also be a recirc, it has the pipe to the TB. it sounds oh so very much like a bus / train relieving pressure everytime i relieve the throttle (seemingly regardless of what pressure i was boosting at) i thought this design was supposed to be quiet!?!?!

is it normal to scare people with this type of dump valve? ... not exactly what i was after!

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
hi guys ... just a quick query about a dump valve. i fitted a forge motorsports dump valve bought from a breaking ti. its a direct replacement for the factory fit recirc, and this item looks to also be a recirc, it has the pipe to the TB. it sounds oh so very much like a bus / train relieving pressure everytime i relieve the throttle (seemingly regardless of what pressure i was boosting at) i thought this design was supposed to be quiet!?!?!

is it normal to scare people with this type of dump valve? ... not exactly what i was after!
Sounds like it's behaving as it was designed to do ... go "Whooshtish" when changing gear at revs. ... ;) ... If that noise does not appeal, refit the original equipment recirculating valve fitted to all the Rover T25 turbochargers. These make a gentle "Harrrhh" noise when lifting off the throttle at higher revs on boost.....that noise is far less noticeable.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
The dump valve you have is the atmospheric type rather than a recirculating type from your description, so yes it is supposed to make that noise :D

·
Registered
938 Posts
And a FORGE DV is probably the loudest you can fit to the ti too.
Why did you change from the standard 'quite' fitment DV if the 'whoooose' sound they mae isn't your thing?

·
Registered
234 Posts
dump

mines a forge and is also very loud , aparantly adjustable but aint found a way yet , mine is also way to loud for my likeing ( to chavish )
but aint been arsed to change back yet .
nothing worse than driveing thru town and a 1/4 of people going wow cool !!!!! , 1/4 going bet thats fast , and 1/2 going what a complete **** assed gimp .
i rather stay silent .

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i fitted it because i thought it was an uprated recirc, and thought it too would be quiet (not necessarily as quiet but still quiet) if it's an atmospheric dump valve i presume the pipe that i have run from it to the TB is a pressure differential thing ... or should that pipe not be connected to the TB ???

maybe i have plumbed it in wrong ... it seems to dump pressure WAY too early, even from negative pressure?!?!

it looks like this ... where does the nipple on the top feed to ?

note, big f*****g holes in the side ... how could i have thought it was recirc ... lol

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
to re-itterate, my issue at the mo is that it seems to be dumping pressure early. any lift on the throttle at seemingly any boost pressure causes a dump (hehe) of some degree.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i can get it to dump without being in gear ! (a little bit but still)

ah well. i'll leave it on for comedy value for a while then i expect i'll put the original back on ... unless someone wants to swap it for a recirc. lol. (it's not too loud ... i promise)

·
Registered
234 Posts
dump

that is the same one as i have , tiz real loud , mines guna come off as soon as i can be arsed , it will make silly noises at almost any rev just different volumes .
the last thing i want is my car getting infected with chavism.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
i can get it to dump without being in gear ! (a little bit but still)

ah well. i'll leave it on for comedy value for a while then i expect i'll put the original back on ... unless someone wants to swap it for a recirc. lol. (it's not too loud ... i promise)
I can offer an OE recirculating one as a swap... PM me if you're still interested..

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cheers for the offer. i have the OE recirc that i removed to fit the loudest object known to man.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Btw if you Forge one starts to wear out, they do a free replacement rubber diaphrame part.

Luckly they are made in Gloucester so got some.

Yes everyone knows when your coming with a Forge DV at any speed, if you let of the gas slow it doesn't make much noise.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so the forge is a diaphram type? does it cause any idle trouble like diaphram DV's i've heard about ? i've been heard coming a few too many times and i've only had it 2 days !!!

is there a trick to getting the forge apart. i couldn't figure out how they put it together, thought it was pressed or something???

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
so the forge is a diaphram type? does it cause any idle trouble like diaphram DV's i've heard about ? i've been heard coming a few too many times and i've only had it 2 days !!!

is there a trick to getting the forge apart. i couldn't figure out how they put it together, thought it was pressed or something???
If yours is similar design to this one, the top cap simply unscrews from the base. Watch out when it's nearly undone as the spring loaded contents will fly all over the shop if you're not careful..;)

Best to remove from the car BEFORE undoing it.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Yup that is the same type as mine too. very loud but fun :D

It doesn't affect idle running at all because rover don't use an airflow sensor unlike other people such as subaru etc.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ah ok. so my next question is how does this type of dumpvalve effect performance. it seems to dump the pressure slowly, so that if i change gear swiftly it hasn't finished dumping (i.e. there will still be pressure ready when the throttle is opened) is that the idea or is there something else ?

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
Affect performance?

Actually, where performance is concerned, I believe these DVs are less efficient that the OE recirculating DV fitted to these cars. Under most driving conditions on road cars, very little discernable difference I would guess.

I like the sound mine makes though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts