MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Go

Either Ford or Nanjing may buy the Rover brand. Ford has first refusual. I have been talking to some people and they reckon Ford will have no choice because if the Chinese buy the name (not lease) then they can freely use it on any car they like, including 4X4's.

But recentally I had a thought about something. Remember the days when Rover realesed cars like the 600 and 400? They were fairly popular saloons that had good reputations and were what Rovers are meant to be.

Well Ford have been struggling to sell the X-type since the realese in 2001, why? Because the front bonnet, grille and bumper look old fashoined.

Now Ford could facelift the X-type but to be honest they should just not bother. Leave Jaguar where it should be as a porshe beater.

So why not sort out the front and sell it as a Rover?

You could put an attractive grille on it, get rid of the lines in the bonnet and make it slightly more streamlined.

A new front grille, front bonnet, front bumper and front/rear lights could potentially make it look fab.

The Rover brand is highly respected abroad and even in the UK the car (if it looked right) would sell like hot cakes. I can assure you there are a lot or Rover fans out there and ex-rover fans who would love a new, British (halewood) made, reliable Rover.

They could easily be sold in Ford dealers along side Jaguars.

A quick photoshop I made.

I know it will never happen, but as an idea; is it any good?
________
Harley-Davidson X8A

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Well they raided the 75 dash for the X-Type so I guess anyting is possible...

I hope not though - I cant see Rover having a place in Fords stable.

·
Registered
294 Posts
david_r_bates said:
Well they raided the 75 dash for the X-Type so I guess anyting is possible...

I hope not though - I cant see Rover having a place in Fords stable.
Especially since they have Volvo - the only reason Ford will ever have it is to protect Land Rover - and spur off new names using the Rover brand in it.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
ChrisMG said:
Either Ford or Nanjing may buy the Rover brand. Ford has first refusual. I have been talking to some people and they reckon Ford will have no choice because if the Chinese buy the name (not lease) then they can freely use it on any car they like, including 4X4's.

But recentally I had a thought about something. Remember the days when Rover realesed cars like the 600 and 400? They were fairly popular saloons that had good reputations and were what Rovers are meant to be.

Well Ford have been struggling to sell the X-type since the realese in 2001, why? Because the front bonnet, grille and bumper look old fashoined.

Now Ford could facelift the X-type but to be honest they should just not bother. Leave Jaguar where it should be as a porshe beater.

So why not sort out the front and sell it as a Rover?

You could put an attractive grille on it, get rid of the lines in the bonnet and make it slightly more streamlined.

A new front grille, front bonnet, front bumper and front/rear lights could potentially make it look fab.

The Rover brand is highly respected abroad and even in the UK the car (if it looked right) would sell like hot cakes. I can assure you there are a lot or Rover fans out there and ex-rover fans who would love a new, British (halewood) made, reliable Rover.

They could easily be sold in Ford dealers along side Jaguars.

A quick photoshop I made.

Looks like a Holden Commodore if you squint hard enough...

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
547 Posts
A good post / idea but think about the bad publicity too (City Rover, £1b debts, P4).

I can't see Ford wanting to use the brand but I'm sure they would not want a Rover branded 4x4 either.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
According to todays Times SAIC have asked Ricardo to set up a new business in the UK to design and engineer cars. The operation will employ 150 people. I THINK they also said it would be said up in the Midlands....

The article went on to say that SAIC is bidding for the Rover brand. Personally I think this could be a hint that SAIC think they have secured the brand because they are now starting to comit to a UK operation..

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Go

MGROVERnut said:
According to todays Times SAIC have asked Ricardo to set up a new business in the UK to design and engineer cars. The operation will employ 150 people. I THINK they also said it would be said up in the Midlands....

The article went on to say that SAIC is bidding for the Rover brand. Personally I think this could be a hint that SAIC think they have secured the brand because they are now starting to comit to a UK operation..
Didn't they announce a few weeks ago they were going to badge 75's under their own brand? Possibly an indication that they have not secured the brand.

The thing is, I worry that Chinese ownership of the brand would degrade it even more. To the point where it would come to as much as a joke a kia or Daweoo is.

The thing is Ford are very unlikely to do anything with the brand. Reviving the x-type would be a risky operation. The car would have to look more like a 3 series than a 75.

It could certainally be possible though. Ford have the platform, which is perfect in everyway. The only thing which makes the x-type sell so poorly is the 'frumpy' front and non-agressive back.

Ovbiosuly, the front would have to be changed to prevent confusion with a 75.

Look at these pictures, compare the rear of the x-type to the 3-series. The 3-series looks way cooler and more contemporary.

The thing which annoys me is the fact that manufactures (e.g Ford/BMW) are obssesed with making Rovers and Jags look old! Why? Don't they understand that people want modern looking cars?

The 75 is a beautiful car but it just isn't dangerous or agressive in any way. People want aggressiviness.
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZERS

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Go

red_rover said:
Don't even think of branding the X Type as a Rover!!!

The 75 is superior - and is a car worthy of the Rover marque!
Even if it looked like this-

P.S, I do have a better resoloution image but im still working on it ;)
________

·
Registered
mg_zt
99 Posts
Ford are in enough financial trouble as it is. The only reason they would buy the Rover name is to make sure they could still use LandRover/RangeRover.

Talk of a rebodied, Rover badged X-type is nonsense. The X-type is a rebodied, Jaguar badged Mondeo, and we all know that didn't work.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Firstly if Ford got the Rover brand and decided to use it to use it to replace the X type they are hardly going to stick it on the existing X type, they would wait until the platform is due to be replaced.

I think it would make sense for Ford to get hold of the Brand Name to protect Land Rover and to prevent a competing brand name.

If they got it would they use it i think not, however with Rover branded cars out of the way, I could perhaps see Ford developing more car like vehicles under the Land Rover brand, a sort of Land Rover Streetwise perhaps.

·
Registered
mg_zt
99 Posts
I very much doubt that Ford would use the Rover name for anything except chunky 4x4 vehicles, and only if it had Land/Range in front of it.

Jaguar isn't doing as well as Ford had hoped.

The X-type is too conservative, and is nowhere nearly as good as the A4/3-Series. Oh, and too many people see it as a rebodied Mondeo.
The S-type is getting old, and whilst it does have an excellent diesel engine (which equals sales) the rest of the car is poorly packaged and isn't as modern as the competition.
The XJ is a fantastic car - lightweight, modern construction. Good packaging and all the toys a company director would want. It's just a shame that it looks the same as it did 40 odd years ago. Apparently a reskin is on the cards.
The XK is a step in the right direction. Lightweight, state of the art construction. Good looking and an excellent drive (if the press reports are anything to go by).

Sales in the USA have been poor - a combination of the £/$ exchange rate and the fact that most of the range isn't as good as the competition. And this is with a marque that is popular in America. Selling cars in the USA is crucial to the survival of Jaguar - as it would be for Rover if Ford were to by the name and start selling Rover badged cars.
Other than 4x4's, Rover is unknown in America (as far as I know - feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken), so to try and sell thse cars would be a fruitless excercise, not to mention a costly one.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Go

I said:
Guys I know it will never happen but its just a concept, just a bit of fun!

I wish they could reasurrect Rover. But I reckon an imminent revival is unlikely. If Ford buy Rover we'll have to wait a few years untill they sort themeslves out.

I'm still working on the photoshop, don't get too ecxited though ;)
________
BUY MFLB

·
Registered
mg_zt
99 Posts
Sorry, I kind of went off on one there didn't I?

Thing is, I work (in the very loosest sense of the term) for Ford Motor Co, and know that the company is tighter than a duck's arse.
You can't get a paperclip without it being signed for in triplicate by Bill Ford.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts