MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive now wired and fitted some Rover fog lights to a Rover 200 Bubble shape N.
The thing is the fog lights only work when the head lights are on they won’t work when the DIP side lights are on with the ignition. I have checked all my wiring. The circuit is a supply from the headlight through a switch to a relay. The relay then supply’s 12v form the battery to the fogs. The funny thing is I connected all the wiring up outside the car and the circuit worked ok, then fitted and it doesn’t. Are the fog lights only supposed to work with the headlights only or should they work on DIP beam? Thanks Chris

·
Registered
919 Posts
cju said:
Ive now wired and fitted some Rover fog lights to a Rover 200 Bubble shape N.
The thing is the fog lights only work when the head lights are on they won’t work when the DIP side lights are on with the ignition. I have checked all my wiring. The circuit is a supply from the headlight through a switch to a relay. The relay then supply’s 12v form the battery to the fogs. The funny thing is I connected all the wiring up outside the car and the circuit worked ok, then fitted and it doesn’t. Are the fog lights only supposed to work with the headlights only or should they work on DIP beam? Thanks Chris
i'm sure they should work on dipped aswell as headlights

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought and it did work when I tested it but now its wired and fitted fully it wont.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I know this is going to seem stupidly obvious, but...did you actually wire the relay to the side lights rather than the headlights? Where have you taken the earth from?
Also do you have the fogs wired through a switch on the dash? Please don't tell me they will constantly on with the lights.:irked:
Also are they fused?

The fogs relay would have to be switched by negative earth if you take the power from the battery and it would need to be fused.
This means that it won't switch via the side lights as the lights are switched on via the positive side from the MFU and the negative side to the lights is permanent.

To switch via the side lights you would have to simply cut in and wire in parallel without the relay.

The right way to do it would be to use a switch on the dash. The fuse and the wiring is already there for the fogs at fuse 31 in the passenger fuse box.

The dash switch is wired to earth and then to the relay. The positive for the fogs is taken from fuse 31 and also wired to the relay.
Positive to energise the relay is taken from the positive side of the side lights, so that the switch only actually works when the lights are on.

Once wired correctly the switch on the dash when pushed should make a connection across negative earth which will then energise the relay if the side lights or headlights are on.

HTH

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes its all fused and I have a switch in my dash but I was told that my car dosnt have the wiring for the fogs at all. THe positive for the relay comes from the DIP headlight bulb, this wire then travels into the car through a switch and back to the relay. The otherside of the relay is then earthed and so when the headlights are turned on the relay powers up. The power for the fogs comes from the battery + though fuse/relay and then to fogs the other side is ground. I no why my fogs dont work on ignition sidelights its because theres a resistor inline to dim the headlight bulb and so theres not enough power to run the relay. I just need to find the resistor then I can remove the feed from the headlight and feed it from the supply running to the resistor. Would this be ok, Thanks Chris

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
cju said:
Yes its all fused and I have a switch in my dash but I was told that my car dosnt have the wiring for the fogs at all. THe positive for the relay comes from the DIP headlight bulb, this wire then travels into the car through a switch and back to the relay. The otherside of the relay is then earthed and so when the headlights are turned on the relay powers up. The power for the fogs comes from the battery + though fuse/relay and then to fogs the other side is ground. I no why my fogs dont work on ignition sidelights its because theres a resistor inline to dim the headlight bulb and so theres not enough power to run the relay. I just need to find the resistor then I can remove the feed from the headlight and feed it from the supply running to the resistor. Would this be ok, Thanks Chris
Yes it would work that way, but I'm not sure about this resistor you speak of.

The side lights shouldn't dim with the engine on. Do you have the fogs wired to the correct light? There are 3 wires, headlight, dip and side lights.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Hes talking about the dim/dip control. This can be removed, but I cant remember where it is.

Have a search on the forum using the search function, it has been discussed before.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I'm a bit confused now. Are we saying that the sidelights actually dim with the headlights off and the engine running? I haven't really noticed that before.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! The resistor is behind the passenger side part of the bumper will find it and draw the +12v that passes through it which should then power my relay by a switch.
will let you no how it goes

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
ashy said:
I'm a bit confused now. Are we saying that the sidelights actually dim with the headlights off and the engine running? I haven't really noticed that before.
When the engine is off and the sidelights are switched on, the supply passes through the dim/dip resistor, allowing them to be used as parking lights, so the battery doesnt drain.

When you switch the ignition on, the dim/dip resistor is bypassed and the sidelights run a full brightness.

Least, thats how its supposed to work.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Mike200SEi said:
When the engine is off and the sidelights are switched on, the supply passes through the dim/dip resistor, allowing them to be used as parking lights, so the battery doesnt drain.

When you switch the ignition on, the dim/dip resistor is bypassed and the sidelights run a full brightness.

Least, thats how its supposed to work.
This is what's getting me confused because if that's the case what's the problem with wiring the fogs in. You only need them on when driving and not when the ignition is off?

·
Registered
mgb
1,452 Posts
ashy said:
This is what's getting me confused because if that's the case what's the problem with wiring the fogs in. You only need them on when driving and not when the ignition is off?
It's the headlights that are dim/dip, when the sidelights are switched on, if the ignition is then switched on, the dipped headlights are also switched on, but through a resistor so they are at a reduced output. Switching the headlights on bypasses the resistor so they are on full brightness.

It means that you cannot drive with just the sidelights on - they seem to be referred to as 'Parking lights' nowadays.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Raykay said:
It's the headlights that are dim/dip, when the sidelights are switched on, if the ignition is then switched on, the dipped headlights are also switched on, but through a resistor so they are at a reduced output. Switching the headlights on bypasses the resistor so they are on full brightness.

It means that you cannot drive with just the sidelights on - they seem to be referred to as 'Parking lights' nowadays.
I'm still lost...LOL. I'll get me multimeter out tomorrow and check the output from the side lights with headlights on and dipped.
What I can't grasp here is that if the side lights are on and the engine is running what prevents you from running the relay from the sidelights if it is only the headlights which are affected by the dim/dip?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve wired the fogs in they are working now. I had to change my plans I wired into the DIP resistor so the lights would go off with the ignition and come on with the side lights. The problem was that when the headlights were switch on the fog lights went off. This is because the resistor is bypassed so the headlights become bright. I’ve left the whole wiring into head light idea and have wired into the cigarette lighter wiring loom the 12v + goes through a switch and fuse to the relay. The relay then supplies the fog lights direct from the battery. This means that when I turn the ignition off the fogs also go off. It’s all working at the moment but im sure sumit will go wrong it usually does lol.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
TBH I can't get this round my head now. Are you saying that the power to the side lights is actually cut off, so the side lights are no longer on if the headlights are switched off with the engine running.
However the headlights will be on and simply just dimmed if you attempt to put the side lights on only, but the side lights themselves don't actually come on?

I seem to recall not long ago that my headlight bulb went on my right side, but my side light was still functioning on that side albeit the particular side was a fair bit dimmer than the other headlight, but it was defo working.

·
Registered
mgb
1,452 Posts
ashy said:
I'm still lost...LOL. I'll get me multimeter out tomorrow and check the output from the side lights with headlights on and dipped.
What I can't grasp here is that if the side lights are on and the engine is running what prevents you from running the relay from the sidelights if it is only the headlights which are affected by the dim/dip?
As you can see, cju has sorted it now. I think the problem was that he was taking the feed for the relay from the dipped headlight circuit, not the sidelight circuit and that was causing the problem. The sidelights are not affected by the dim/dip, when they are switched on, they come on as normal, if the ignition is then switched on, the dipped headlights come on as well at a reduced output.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Raykay said:
As you can see, cju has sorted it now. I think the problem was that he was taking the feed for the relay from the dipped headlight circuit, not the sidelight circuit and that was causing the problem. The sidelights are not affected by the dim/dip, when they are switched on, they come on as normal, if the ignition is then switched on, the dipped headlights come on as well at a reduced output.

Ah at last...this is what was confusing me. I couldn't get why there was no power to the relay from the side lights as they are not affected by the dim/dip circuit whether the headlights are on or off. I did ask this many posts earlier and would have saved me much confusion thinking I had myself all mixed up in my head because that was not what I could see on the wiring diagram and infact I had it right all along...:slap:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts