MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing from folks on this forum that "you can get the foglight surrounds for whatever Rover for a few quid".

Would anyone mind letting me know from where or whom exactly? Ebay's a bit of a gamble and if theres someone i can just go to and buy outright, I'd be a much happier chappy :)

Cheers

·
Registered
585 Posts
hmmm

not sure about this - what car part is ever only a few quid, especially from a defunct company>

if you can source a rover/mg dealer good luck!

i stripped a vi recently - still am - and put the surrounds on ebay, was amazed they fetched over £20, got me curious and i recently watched a set complete at £32...

so a few quid,,,,,im not sure

·
Registered
cityrover
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Echoing my thoughts exactly - anything rover hardware goes nuts on ebay : foglight hardware is no exception. Unsuprisingly there is an abundance of blanks for sale :)
I'll just have to keep my eyes open and see what comes along. I might even ask my local dealer Townsend and try my luck (or more likely, my wallet!)

·
Registered
734 Posts
The actual foglight switch is the best - when I fitted mine I looked on eBay and they seemed to average £15/20, all the sellers advertising "These cannot be bought at a dealer, get it here while they're still available"... went down my local dealer and ordered one for £6 :irked: these sellers really **** me off

·
Registered
cityrover
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the end of the day they just want their money. If they're not trying to rip you off with the product itself they'll more than likely still want a tenner to post something that costs less than a quid to send first class. I can't be bothered with a switch : a dremel, a blank panel on the dashboard somewhere and a standard toggle switch will do just fine.

Bought a generic 30amp wiring kit from Ebay though for 6 quid (convenience really) with all the cables, relay, switch and a horde of handy spade connectors - all I need now is a passenger side foglight and the surrounds ;) Figured the best way to get my fogs without spending a small fortune is just buy each part on the cheap.

Trouble is, I put bids on two driver side foglamps at the same time and won them both, 6 quid a shot ;) So, if anyone needs a driver side lamp, I'll soon have another to pass on for a tenner ;)

It's also handy knowing that the same parts fit the same age 5 door Honda Civic too, but it's rare for parts for said car to appear on Ebay.

·
Registered
585 Posts
for the record, i have sold vast amounts of rover stuff on ebay and yes made a great profit

at the end of the day i am catering for demand...i dont force anyone to buy

i start my auctions resonably low and i dont try to make profit from posting ( its against ebay rules)

i bought a vi to strip as a donor car thinking at £350 it was cheaper than buying the parts (of ebay!)! i estimated i needed about £500 worth of stuff

ive now got all the bits i need and have made about £350 profit - with the shell and engine still to go !

moral - not all ebayers are rip off merchants :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts