MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a pair of new fog lights Rimmer's list the part no's (OS & NS) as XBJ1055 01 and 11
The advert on the one's I'm looking at says they fit a TF and are OE but the part numbers end 00 and 10, does anyone know the difference, is it that the plugs in the loom won't follow? they are £40 less than Rimmer's which is why I'm asking.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,873 Posts
As you can see here: Quick Fogs Guide XBJ105500 is superseded by XBJ105501 and XBJ105510 is superseded by XBJ105511. But generaly these are the same foglights.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that just done a deal on a early TF which I wont get for a week (personal no. to come off) from that guide I suspect the connectors may not follow, but wont be sure until I get the car. Are the later connectors readily available and does anyone know the part no. for them.
Thanks

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think I've found the connectors on ebay, they say fit H11 bulbs can anyone confirm that this would be the part needed

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,408 Posts
Those look like the correct ones for H11.

Before getting too carried away, I would wait and check what the TF has already fitted (the fogs were a dealer fit accessory, so wiring should already be in place) - if the wiring and connectors are already fitted, they should be the correct ones for H11 anyway. The change point for H1 to H11 was 1999 (about the time that the Rover 200 and 400 were facelifted to become the 25 and 45).

Note that you will also need the metal mounting bracket to mount the lamp assemblies to the bumper. These were specific to the F/TF and were not supplied with the fog lamp units themselves as the same lamps were used across the range (with them having a different bracket for the 45/ZS and screwing directly to the bumper moulding on the 25/ZR). The F/TF bracket is no longer available new, so you will have to look around places such as eBay and breakers yards. Ditto for the bezels/surrounds.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,182 Posts
As said the wiring for the fob light could be in place, it is more likely to be in an early TF but it is a bit hit and miss.

The lamp brackets are the main issue as in its production the TF had three different front bumpers and all have different brackets. Only the last version is available from Rimmer Bros.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excuse my ignorance but the brackets I have seen on TF bumpers are basically what I would term as plastic spacers, one side fits to the bumper and the other to the fog light and this determines the position of the fog light and I presume angle of the beam in relation to the road. I have never seen or until now heard of metal ones and had no idea that 3 types of bumper existed the bezels are a new one on me as well where do they fit. The TF i'm awaiting is Feb 2000 reg so early but whose to say it's still got the original bumper, the clue is in the name.
Will I have to take the bumper off to determine what's there or can it be seen from underneath easily enough, is there a favoured spot to tuck the loom if present.
Are there any pictures/exploded diagrams available of the different types so I can recognise what I have?
Your all probably thinking this is hardly worth the trouble and expense to look pretty, I live in deepest darkest Lincolnshire no Motorways, no kerbs and definitely no street lights its all verges, pot holes and ***** (the ones with water). I don't intend to go blasting down the lanes but my last three cars all had fog/spots and to me they are a required safety aid around here.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,182 Posts
On early TF’s, the black bits are painted, on later cars the black bits are a self coloured moulding.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
your right 2002 was the first year but from what I've read some were made in 2001 but were MGF's taken off the line and remodelled as TF's these carry MGF vin no's. It's amazing what you can find out on the web

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Never heard of this before and I have been an owner since 1998. Did they do a full remodelling including the two new struts behind the dash? The body construction was very different between the F and TF.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Julian I do not mean to be rude but we are in danger of moving off topic and its partly my fault, some info came from a thread on here "project faceplant" I respectfully suggest you read this very interesting thread and address that thread with any Q's.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,408 Posts
As yours is a very early TF, I think I am right in saying that it should have the fog lamp brackets already in the bumper - on the early TFs, they were moulded into the bumper (on later ones the bumper moulding was altered so that they could be attached by screws). If the bumper has been replaced at some time, it may have been replaced with one without the brackets however.

The angle of the beam can be set by a thumscrew underneath the lamp assembly. I have to say that I live in Lincolnshire too, but have never had a need for actually using my foglights - they have only ever been switched on to check that they work). To be honest, I find that the beam doesn't shine far enough forward to be of any real benefit over a correctly adjusted pair of headlamps. Also (being a rabid pedant), I would also point out that use of fog lamps in any other conditions apart from where visibilty is reduced to below 100 metres by fog, is illegal and may prompt the issue of an FPN by any policeman who is as much of a pedant as I am and is short of something to do!

your right 2002 was the first year but from what I've read some were made in 2001 but were MGF's taken off the line and remodelled as TF's these carry MGF vin no's. It's amazing what you can find out on the web
There were a number of development/pre-production TFs and pre-launch press cars which were built from Fs and therefore fall within the serial number range for the F.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you "man in a car" for some useful info, but I would like to say that this area of the law is opaque not to say foggy (HaHa)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts