MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my F to an auto-electrician today to get 2 spare fobs (2nd-hand) reprogrammed as I only have 1 that works + a spare that came with the car and also doesn't work.

The auto'electrican !spelling? (whom turned out to be an old mate from my teen’s) couldn't get any of my spare fobs to respond, he also tried 2 of his 2nd hand one’s & a new one, non-of them responded ether.

Anyone got any ideas??? :dunno:
The car is an import from Jersey & a 1996 vvc.

On the + side he did give me the overriding code for the immobiliser of my car (that I didn't have) and didn't charge me at all.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did he try and program them, did he have a T4 or Avon diagnostics computer?
'Now yor asking???' Chris, it looked like a laptop that plugged into somewhere in the fuse-box under the steering-wheel, from that gadget he could operate everything Ie: doors, lights & horn etc, to be sure his equipment wasn't at fault he then plugged a 2nd thing'y laptop (an identical one) giving the same results.

From that gadget he got my immobilizer code (if that shed's any light?).

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,183 Posts
Sounds like he has the right bit of kit then, so your problem seems likely to be with the fobs, did they have new battery's in them?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'Yes' and he checked them, with some other gadget.
He did say it was a 1st for him and I know he's been in the trade over 30 yr.

To save time he did said, if I brought it back with the immobilizer exposed so as he could just unplug it, he'd try a different unit in it and tune the fobs into that (I think he's trying to save me some dosh & he owns the place :URGOD: ).

I thought it might have something to'do with it been an import, but he say's his computers would overide that:dunno:

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
would you like to share your mates's details with us ?, location, name, number, email, inside leg etc. Sounds like he could be of use to peeps in your area. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts