MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Tessa Jowell sports minister been on GMTV this morning because shes got two england flags on her ministerial car. Since her cars a 75 I thought that was OK, in fact maybe a V8 certainly had a V8 grill.

But this england flag business overall is it classy, personally I think it shows your class or the lack of it, and as for those who stick England flags on Fiats, Renaults etc and worst of all VW's well what can you say.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I think it's tacky as it only seems to happen for the football, not for any other major sporting or none sporting event.

Plus, as to having "England" printed on the flags - why? Is it because people don't recognise their own flag?

I'm all for people recognising their origin and supporting their country but this just seems a bit naff.

·
Registered
27,730 Posts
i saw a car this morning with england flags stuck all over it, and they had printed England on them too, like dirrrrrr.

it also had those flags attached to the windows too

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
I drove past a parked Jaguar XK yesterday (55 plate). In white with a cross of St.George painted across the roof extending across the entire length and width of the car. On my return journey I looked at it more closely and the scheme has been professionally sprayed on, even the interior had the same theme.:eek:
Patriotic? Certainly! Tastefully done? Within limits a hesitant yes. More money than sense? Absolutely!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Obertelli said:
I drove past a parked Jaguar XK yesterday (55 plate). In white with a cross of St.George painted across the roof extending across the entire length and width of the car. On my return journey I looked at it more closely and the scheme has been professionally sprayed on, even the interior had the same theme.:eek:
Patriotic? Certainly! Tastefully done? Within limits a hesitant yes. More money than sense? Absolutely!
It's gotta look better than a Scenic with a St George window flag either side!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok ok....hold on!

1. It shows your class? Hows that then? If what you mean by that is common / lower class people put them on? Thats not exactly fair and in no way true. I am obsessed with England, regardless of my class if i want to show my support i will!!
2. Other sports dont command the same amount of support, therefore are not as important in the mind of the majority!
3. As for flags on foreign cars....so what!! Just because you are patriotic doesnt mean you cant buy anything thats foreign!! The bricks in my house could be from scandonavia, i still have a flag up!!
4. England being printed on the flags?? Surely that just a design taste? Were not playing a quizz "guess which flag ive stuck on my car today" lol. I prefer the ones that say england on them myself!

All that said, i dont have a silly little flag on my car but i love the fact that im driving around and see 100 St Georges crosses before i get to work. Not being racist here in the slightest but it makes a refreshing break as i see alot of asian statues, signs, flags usually!!

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Thats the problem though, the likes of Wales, Scotland and Ireland who show patriotism for their country, England dodoes not. And when we do, oh my life do we hear people moaning about it :(

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Red-Diezel said:
2. Other sports dont command the same amount of support, therefore are not as important in the mind of the majority!
Think you've just summed it up there. It's not a display of patriotism, it's just an extension of football mania. That's why I consider it to be tacky as it's only temporary.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Yup, I wish England well in the World Cup, as I would any UK team.

But I just think flying a ridiculously small, Chinese made flag from a car once every 4 years, looks decidedly naff. And if it is being flown from a foreign made car, it looks pathetic.

Incidentally, I wonder what the legality of flying these flags are?

I regularly wear a small union flag lapel badge and was instructed to remove it a few years ago at Birmingham Airport ahead of a flight from Islamabad arriving, as otherwise it could create a 'breach of the peace'.

Wonder if the same applies to cars?

John

·
Registered
27,730 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
I regularly wear a small union flag lapel badge and was instructed to remove it a few years ago at Birmingham Airport ahead of a flight from Islamabad arriving, as otherwise it could create a 'breach of the peace'.

Wonder if the same applies to cars?

John
should I remove the union flag off my boot ? even though it's attached to an English car and being driven by an English person in England , I don't want to offend anyone :dddc:

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
Incidentally, I wonder what the legality of flying these flags are?
They do fall under the "Construction and Use" regs in so much that you are responsible for them staying attached to the car while driving along. If one breaks off and, for example, strikes a scooter rider in the face causing an accident then you would be liable.

As to flying the St Georges cross in England, if it causes offence to a someone from a foreign land then as far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be here if something as trivial as that causes resentment. I'm all for pride in one's country under the right circumstances.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Go

Red-Diezel said:
Ok ok....hold on!

3. As for flags on foreign cars....so what!! Just because you are patriotic doesnt mean you cant buy anything thats foreign!! The bricks in my house could be from scandonavia, i still have a flag up!!
Patrotic is supporting and loving your country. If you are patriotic then you need not wave around England flags everywhere when the world cup's on. This is false patrotism. Real patrotism is from the heart and you understand the need your country's people, of course it is stupid to buy British goods if their uncompetitive crap. But virtually none are.

MGR may not of scored well in the reliabilty surveys but they always beated Citroen, peogout, Fiat, Renualt etc. Yet people brought their cars in the dozens. Any true patriot would consider buying British.
________
Honda Pacific Coast

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
ChrisMG said:
Patrotic is supporting and loving your country. If you are patriotic then you need not wave around England flags everywhere when the world cup's on. This is false patrotism. Real patrotism is from the heart and you understand the need your country's people, of course it is stupid to buy British goods if their uncompetitive crap. But virtually none are.
Quite. I'm definitely more patriotic than some dimwit with his Chinese made 'Ingerlund' football flags on his VW Golf (as I saw yesterday on the M25!).

TBH it's a bit like what happen with the Union Flag being highjacked by the NF/BNP and the like, only the English one has been highjacked by a fairly average football team and its supporters. Sadly those same supporters wouldn't know patrotism even if you shoved one of those flags up their backsides.

·
Banned
3,933 Posts
Lord Minty said:
Quite. I'm definitely more patriotic than some dimwit with his Chinese made 'Ingerlund' football flags on his VW Golf (as I saw yesterday on the M25!).

TBH it's a bit like what happen with the Union Flag being highjacked by the NF/BNP and the like, only the English one has been highjacked by a fairly average football team and its supporters. Sadly those same supporters wouldn't know patrotism even if you shoved one of those flags up their backsides.
So......you're gonna watch the match on your British tv whilst you sip British beer? this always brings the 'holier than thous' out of the closet. A Chinese made flag, a Chinese made car, what's the difference?

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
sheefag said:
So......you're gonna watch the match on your British tv whilst you sip British beer? this always brings the 'holier than thous' out of the closet. A Chinese made flag, a Chinese made car, what's the difference?
I won't be watching. I've got some drying paint to watch instead. :D

And my TV? Couldn't find a Brit made one so bought a Turkish made one instead badged up by a British retailer, thus avoiding any EU made items ;)

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
sheefag said:
Yes, I intend to be knocking back British made Spitfire Kentish Ale - my tipple of choice - watching the game on my British made television, connected to my British made DVD Player, in turn connected to my British made satellite receiver. Or if I decide to watch some paint dry intead, I might tune into the match on my British made radio :)

John

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
imo its a flag that people are showing to support their football team - and as far as im concerned thats fair enough

i think they look tacky but if people want to wave their flags around i couldnt give a monkeys - that doesnt mean i wont be watching the footie tho

people have freedom of choice in this country, if they wanna buy a flag then let them buy one, if they wanaa buy a french car then so be it

surely the beer you drink is based on your own personal tastes. i like budwiser and the last time i checked i wasnt a charva

·
Registered
27,730 Posts
ChrisMG said:
Good man, you have excellent beer taste. Spitfire is fantastic beer. A million times better than foster/budwiser crap the average chav drinks.
so if you drink budweiser or fosters that makes you a chav :err: and not patriotic, oh deary me

1 - 20 of 62 Posts