MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you use to flush the coolant on the rover

need to flush it after the head gasket failed, i have ran the hose in it but still have the mayo in there i cant clear!!

any tips welcome

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Did you run the hose down the header tank or the radiator?
I had the hose down the header tank whilst the engine was idling and hot. It spewed out what was in the system whilst replacing that with the water from the hose.
To try cleaning the header tank, try getting a metal clothes hanger and wrapping a cloth around it and then getting the gunk out of it that way.

Despite having the hose in the header tank, the mayo ALWAYs came back after less than a week. If you havent put the hose down the radiator etc then that would be my first port of call. Do it till the water out the bottom runs clear. When you put the new water/coolant in, make sure you get rid of any air locks using the bleed nipple otherwise the water wont enter the whole system. To see if everything has worked, hot air should blow through the heaters. If there is no hot air, check your work. If the air is boiling hot or much hotter than usual, dont worry.

EDIT: Apparently you cant get rid of ALL the stuff inside the engine. Even when you have done all that you can and the pipes are spotless, the crap will build up slowly again in the header tank but it should be nowhere near the amount you would accumulate in a week after HGF. Maybe try and use an engine cleaning agent like Holts and run that in the header tank for a while and then drain the system again in a week. Might make the results better

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Hot water and half a tea cup of auto washing powder or a dish washer tablet. Run it like that for a good 20 mins when the car is up to temp then leave it to cool down then drain it off and flush a couple more times with hot water.
If it still persists get some degreaser such as forte bio degreaser or cooling system cleaner and put that in with a weak solution of coolant/water mix, 60/40 should do and leave it for a week then flush and refill as normal.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hey guys I think I just experienced HGF on my way to work today. Haven't noticed any mayo in the water tank before.
I was waiting at lights then the engine cut out. Took about 20 seconds to kick in again while turning the key and the red triangle warning light on the dash was illuminated for a minute. Got around to my work and while trying to turn round the corner the power steering went wonky for about a second then it was fine.
Parked up and there's a little mayo under the oil filler cap, on the dipstick and in the coolant tank.

Should I try flushing the coolant out? and will I be to do that with just water?

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
defiintely sounds like HGF Jabo, esp if there was no mayo to begin with. I definitely would not recommend driving the car anymore unless you are taking it to the garage, even then, I wouldnt. Try and get the car pressure tested to see if there are any leaks or get the AA people out to see you first before you do anything else.

Why do you want to flush the coolant out? If it is HGF, and it sounds like it most probably could be, it will come right back. I am not 100%, but if a gaskett has gone, then hosing the system wouldnt do anything to help the situation as there is already a leak. You might end up getting water in places it shouldnt be. I would also recommend not using K-seal or any equivalent to fix the problem as they are only delaying the inevitable.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm not quite sure what head gasket failure is or what it actually means but I have got mayo :(
What should I do now? The car's parked up in my work, I need it to get home!
Should I flush out the coolant tonight and top it up? Should I scrap the car?

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Its when the rubber seals around the joining of pipes break and then you get cross-contamination of fluids. Mayo tends to mean that you water and oil have been mixed and hence emulsified. I wouldnt drive the car myself as my first ever post was about HGF. I just drove on and ended up cooking the engine and blowing a piston. Needless to say, I needed a whole new block put in. Only lucky cos I was under warrently.
Do you have AA or equivalent? can get them out to have a look or tow you back. If you really really must, then drive it home, but be prepared if things dont go smoothly. Other than that, get it check out ASAP and get it sorted before you try to move it again.
If indeed it is HGF, have a look here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANDROVER-FRE...ryZ31348QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I am not sure if it is the guy, but there is a member on here who does this exact service on ebay and come highely recommended. Would definitely be worth the look. For future, maybe consider AA breakdown cover for £62 a year. Covers HGF, battery and loads of other common faults. Excess is only £25...cant go wrong

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Top it up and drive it home carefully, watch the temp gauge like a hawk and put the heaters on. The slightest hint of overheating or the blowers go cold then stop.
If you have a fair way to go then pull over at regular intervals and do a check. I'd advise you to take some water on the journey.

If you are losing water rapidly then it's advisable not to drive the car.

Mayo can sometimes be attributed to condensation. However when you get the car home have it checked out.
If it is HGF then it's not the end of the world, it's repairable.
K seal is a stop gap product that will allow you to use the car until you have the means to sort the car properly, it's the only product that will stop the leak so don't use anything else.

Its when the rubber seals around the joining of pipes break and then you get cross-contamination of fluids.
Head gasket failure is just what it says...failure of the gasket that joins the cylinder head to the block allowing water and oil to mix or bleed into the cylinders.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Is our definition of HGF not the same ashy? Gasketts the rubber seal, well in the new LR its metal I think...

Listen to ashy, I think he's a mechanic or a pro enthusiast or professional boat sailor? :dunno: :) either way he knows his stuff and I cant fault his advice.
I'm only telling of I learnt from what happened to me...

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think the water level looked fine earlier, I'll check it when I finish work here. The coolant level seemed low though. Can mayo form from mixing coolant and oil? If so, how do I stop it mixing?

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Oh, ok. Just thought maybe I understood HGF wrong, guess its my wording.
Yes I mean the ones that join the head. I was shown the damage when they replaced the parts, looked a right mess. I managed to blow a piston too and the coolant had dried 100% out the systems cos it was so hot!

EDIT: Jabo, my temp sensor seemed fine when I was driving but everything happened instantly. Dont rely on the sensors. As ashy said, if you drive it,have the heaters on. If the heat goes, you have no water in the cooling system and pull over right away.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I meant the water level in the tank looked fine when I had a look but I think the coolant is very low. Does coolant + oil = mayo?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hmmm...

Right, when I parked my car up at 2pm it had been rumbling on very low revs.
I just went for a 2 minute drive and it was fine. No rumbling, no stalling, no warning lights coming on. Car drove fine.

Coolant was RIGHT down. **** all in it. So I've filled it up to the max with water and I'll keep an eye on it to see if it empties and how quickly.

There's still mayo on the dipstick and under the oil cap though.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Keep your eye on it and make sure your heaters are always on. As soon as your heaters stop working, dont drive your car no more and check your coolant levels. If your coolant is right down, definitely sounds like HGF now as it must have leaked somewhere and thats the most common fault.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I hadn't checked the coolant level in the 3 weeks I've had the car.
There had been steam randomly coming out the exhaust for maybe the last week or so.
I can't see any wet patches under the bonnet. Can't see a leak from anywhere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my car is running fine, but i am getting a brown sludge lining my coolant tank with a sort of oily texture to it. im loosing oil and water, but more oil than water.

im getting about 300 miles out of a tank in a 1.4
no overheating
no mayo, clean oil
done 49K so far on an s plate
does this mean i have a head gasget problem on my hands, or somthing like a water pump going?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts