MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Recently I've noticed that at the end of every rubber hose, there are white stuff moulding around it. I think I have mix with different coolants. Therefore it might have been effected the engine and caused it sometimes loose all it's power and gurgle then stalled the engine. It's happening quite alot recently. What symptoms do you think it is. Also I would like to flush the system, how I go about doing it. Does anymore know a link with pictures, sorry am really new at this.

thanks in advance
evi

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Use 'forte bio degreaser' remove the rad bottom hose and drain into a tub. then back flush the head and radiatior with a slow garden hose./Make sure the heater is set to full heat.then mix the bio stuff with water and refit the rad hose and open the bleed screw and fill slowly until no more bubbling around the bleed screw.Run engine for 30mins make sure the fan kicks in and drain the bio stuff and replace with antifreeze 50/50 mix making sure to bleed it againg.Or better still get a garage to vacum fill it with the new coolant.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply, as I can't get access to a garden hose cos I live in a flat above. so properly best leave it to the garage to vacum it. Can you advice which coolant is best for the 200vi.

When the engine loses its power then gurgle/shaking then stalled would it be HGF? I have checked the coolant it's just above the minimum level and hasn't loose any for few weeks now. the oil cap no grease on it. Could it be the crutch? gearbox?

cheers

griffmonster said:
Use 'forte bio degreaser' remove the rad bottom hose and drain into a tub. then back flush the head and radiatior with a slow garden hose./Make sure the heater is set to full heat.then mix the bio stuff with water and refit the rad hose and open the bleed screw and fill slowly until no more bubbling around the bleed screw.Run engine for 30mins make sure the fan kicks in and drain the bio stuff and replace with antifreeze 50/50 mix making sure to bleed it againg.Or better still get a garage to vacum fill it with the new coolant.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
No need to vacuum bleed it
all that stuff is for the mg-tf's

First make sure the heater is set to hot in your car,

When filling take out the bleed screw .......and rhythmically crush the top and bottom hoses with hands.......until the air is expelled out of the bleed screw .........then put the screw back in ...squeeze the hoses again until air is bled into the header tank.........do all this whilst adding more water.

start car up with cap off header tank ..........
let it get to running temp...only run for minimum time during this warm up ...add more water if needed.

then put the cap back on ...........go out for a short run .....................then let cool down to .......... to hand hot.

look at the level then in the header tank .....and top up if needed.

sorry i think you have the first symptoms of hgf ....unless it's failed in the past.........but the gurgling .....is something to worry about.......if it carries on after doing the above.

all the best.......mark

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just done mind today, so see if i had a hgf as there was lots of scum in the coolent bottle but all seems to be well. Apart from my fan doesnt come on, any reason for this?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank for the advice, I'll give it ago tonight.

thanks again

aboard_epsilon said:
No need to vacuum bleed it
all that stuff is for the mg-tf's

First make sure the heater is set to hot in your car,

When filling take out the bleed screw .......and rhythmically crush the top and bottom hoses with hands.......until the air is expelled out of the bleed screw .........then put the screw back in ...squeeze the hoses again until air is bled into the header tank.........do all this whilst adding more water.

start car up with cap off header tank ..........
let it get to running temp...only run for minimum time during this warm up ...add more water if needed.

then put the cap back on ...........go out for a short run .....................then let cool down to .......... to hand hot.

look at the level then in the header tank .....and top up if needed.

sorry i think you have the first symptoms of hgf ....unless it's failed in the past.........but the gurgling .....is something to worry about.......if it carries on after doing the above.

all the best.......mark

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
tommo86 said:
Just done mind today, so see if i had a hgf as there was lots of scum in the coolent bottle but all seems to be well. Apart from my fan doesnt come on, any reason for this?
Fan not coming on? some do some dont, can depend on how a car is driven, or just basically a very hot day, only known mine come on once in nearly 2 years, that was due to the mot guy leaving it running whilst I was having it motd on my last test.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
fan should come on if the car is left standing still long enough, with the car running, pull the sensor out, its the one that is situated on the aluminim cast elbow that emerges from the right handside (front) of the engine. When you pull it off, the engine will idle lower for a split second and then the fan will cut in (please watch your fingers)

If it doesnt, there is a problem with the fan, if this doesnt work, check fuese, make sure wires are in good condition going to the fan, try spinning the fan WITH THE ENGINE OFF, to see if the fan bearing is ok and/or nothing is stuck in there.

A inoperative fan is a potential headgasket failure on the K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts