MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just as I pulled up outside my house this evening I pressed the clutch pedal to take her out of gear and the pedal didn't come back up...

So symptoms are:
  • Pedal on floor, not returning to normal position
  • Difficult to get in to gear recently
  • Clutch pedal felt like it was "sticking" as it returned to normal position
  • Stiff clutch pedal i.e. more effort to press it down fully

At least she got me home bless her.

From reading on the forums it seems like a master cylinder failure of some kind. Too dark now to check fluid levels etc.

Anyone else got any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CJJ. Is this something I can get to with the engine cover off or is it time to call a garage?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Flaccid, limp: sounds like a problem with the arm.
CJJ always seems to have the answer to these sort of problems!!!!!!!
Good chap to have around.

Mike

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to attack tomorrow with some grease and penetrating oil to cure my flacid part :p

Wish me luck! Hopefully it won't have to go off to the garage just yet!

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
I find that a good rub always sorts out the flacid problems. :whistle:

There are other things it could be, such as a problem with the slave or master cylinder, clutch fluid needs changing etc, but I would try a bit of lubrication first before looking at difficult and expensive things.

Have you checked the clutch fluid level by the way?

·
Registered
mgf
3,976 Posts
Be sure to check the fluid level by removing the cap, don't be fooled that you can see through the white plastic, you can't.

Also, remove the piston from the slave cylinder and the arm into the clutch housing should return, if it doesnt you have narrowed it down to that end, if it does you will have to check the master and slave cylinders in turn.

Oh, and have a lovely saturday, just you and the love of your life (the car that is)

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
If the clutch fluid is low, pull the rubber seal off the slave cyl and see if there is fluid in there, there shouldnt be, if fluid has leaked out air can get in,this could cause your problem. In the long term you will need a new cyl or repair kit, but for now bleed the system.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
As my post above suspect the slave cyl, pull off the rubber dust cover, there should be no fluid under it, if there is your slave cyl seals are worn, that is your leak and air can get in. Need to renew, but for now top up and bleed.

Remember brake/clutch fluid makes an ideal paint stripper so be careful with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As my post above suspect the slave cyl, pull off the rubber dust cover, there should be no fluid under it, if there is your slave cyl seals are worn, that is your leak and air can get in. Need to renew, but for now top up and bleed.
At the risk of sounding dumb is slave cylinder in engine bay or under front bonnet?

What fluid do I top up with? DOT4 OK?

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
At the risk of sounding dumb is slave cylinder in engine bay or under front bonnet?

What fluid do I top up with? DOT4 OK?
Yes the slave cylinder is on the engine above the gearbox, as you look in it is toward the left hand side, towards the rear, where the gearbox clamps onto the engine, you will see the cylinder with a bar coming out of it which goes to the operating arm,

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes the slave cylinder is on the engine above the gearbox, as you look in it is toward the left hand side, towards the rear, where the gearbox clamps onto the engine, you will see the cylinder with a bar coming out of it which goes to the operating arm,
Think this is a bit more than seals beginning to fail. Got in to the engine bay and started to bleed the cylinder off but nothing came out the bleed value no matter how open I had it so my newly purchased bleed kit was redundant before I started.

The seals can't have any integrity left as the fresh brake fluid just came out all over the floor like a drooling dog.

I've got some other bits that need doing to so might as well bite the bullet and get her recovered to a garage to get her sorted.

:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts