MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My heated rear glass window has been gradually failing over the last 6 months, 5 of the 9 heating elements had failed and then recently it stopped all together.

Got the back of the roof up today to find that the connecting wire at the glass on both sides had come away, so I reattached both with a little araldite and then painted silver conductive paint over to make the connections. Tested with a multimeter and was getting a solid 12V at the powered side and 0V at the other end, so back to 4 working elements at least.

Then I tested each line to check for breaks using the multimeter and managed to locate the breaks on 4 of the 5 damaged lines, which I then repainted using the same silver conductive paint. Happy to say I now have 8 out of 9 working lines and a clean and fog free rear window. Will probably try and sort the last one next weekend, weather permitting.

Just wanted to say how pleased I am - thought I was going to need a new hood (my glass is moulded into the material so don't think there would be an easy way of replacing just the window). After watching several YouTube vids about how to test, I decided to jump in and have a go. It was much easier than I expected! Happy days :)

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
413 Posts
Well done, it's a nice feeling when you set out thinking it's probably a waste of time and end up feeling well chuffed. I 've never used conductive paint and doubted manufactures claims, now it appears it does what it says on the can.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well done, it's a nice feeling when you set out thinking it's probably a waste of time and end up feeling well chuffed. I 've never used conductive paint and doubted manufactures claims, now it appears it does what it says on the can.
I was dubious myself... It was nearly a tenner for a teensy bottle (maybe 1.5 inches tall) which apparently contains silver dust powder (it did come with its own very fine brush to apply it). Requires a vigorous shake before application, but can confirm it deffo works.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Just wanted to say how pleased I am - thought I was going to need a new hood (my glass is moulded into the material so don't think there would be an easy way of replacing just the window)
The window is part of the IMMEDIATE surrounding material but it is not part of the whole hood (if it is it is the first I have heard of this). The material below the window is riveted in and is easy to drill out the rivets.

To my knowledge all glass windows are always sold separately from the hood.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
413 Posts
Your correct Julian BAS International still show them on their site @ £222.00, Ouch makes a tenner for the paint seem cheap. My HRW is currently good (Touch wood) but hood panel itself not so good, is there a company that would put the old screen into a new hood panel if the need arises?

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
413 Posts
Julian yes that's what I did bought a hood and frame from an F for £150 and swapped the rear panels over, still have the hood and frame if anyone wants it very very cheap but also very very heavy.

·
Registered
mg_tf
689 Posts
Hello Deepfat,
Worth searching for classic car trimmers in your area. I know a very reasonably priced trimmer in my neck of the woods in Swansea. Obviously not practical if you want to retain your glass rear window, but probably would be for Perspex.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The window is part of the IMMEDIATE surrounding material but it is not part of the whole hood (if it is it is the first I have heard of this). The material below the window is riveted in and is easy to drill out the rivets.

To my knowledge all glass windows are always sold separately from the hood.
I thought as much, but cannot see how it can be removed from my LE500. The window panel appears to be stitched into the main hood, so whilst I could remove the rivets at the bottom I am not sure how I would go about removing the sides and top part from the surrounding material without having the have a seamstress sew it back into the main piece.

No doubt I am missing something, but thankfully that is not necessary now so happy days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts