MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Has anyone fitted the XPOWER springs themselves ?
Is this a DIY job or are special tools required ?

Any info / detail much appreciated

Ta

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
petevick said:
and afterwards it will need a 4 wheel laser alignment ;)
Or a 4 wheel string alignment if you have it done at Techspeed.
Stripping the dampers will be the hardest part, although Techspeed found that my 2005 spec springs hardly needed any compressing. You will also need to unbolt a few things in the engine bay, like the expansion bottle, to get good access to the top mounts.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
petevick said:
WHAT :yikes:, I know they are out in the sticks, but surely they have electricity :lol:
If its good enough for setting up the suspension on race cars its good enough for my TF :D
TBO its more accurate than a laser alignment, they even do it on a proper flat plate (and dont use an uneven concrete floor like most places :rolleyes: )and have a special bracket for attaching the equipment to F/TFs to eliminate errors.
Laser alignment isn't used because of its accuracy, its used because it cheap and chearfull and you can train almost any old spanner monkey to use it. To do it the 'string' way you actually need to know what you are doing, thus IMO you get much more accurate results.

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
SHARKYMGF said:
If its good enough for setting up the suspension on race cars its good enough for my TF :D
TBO its more accurate than a laser alignment, they even do it on a proper flat plate (and dont use an uneven concrete floor like most places :rolleyes: )and have a special bracket for attaching the equipment to F/TFs to eliminate errors.
Laser alignment isn't used because of its accuracy, its used because it cheap and chearfull and you can train almost any old spanner monkey to use it. To do it the 'string' way you actually need to know what you are doing, thus IMO you get much more accurate results.

certainly sounds more convincing when u actually explain what you were talking about. doing a 'string' alignment certainly sounded a bit backward.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 9 of 9 Posts