MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having obtained a pair of MGF side scoops from HERE, I have finally got around to tackle the process of moulding, painting and fitting them. For guidance I followed the process used by David (Aiketgate) and thank him for his help.

I bought a spare pair of air intake surrounds from eBay, a bargain at only £7.71 including postage, just in case I made a mess of the whole thing.

These are the surrounds... ...and these are the fibreglass scoops

The first thing to do was to mask the fixing lugs on the surrounds. They need to be black to make sure they dont show when the whole thing is fitted back onto the car. After that I glued the scoops onto the surrounds. They fit well when set just inside the surrounds. I used Superglue to hold the scoops in place, then Araldite to get a good firm bond.

You can see from the photo's that filling is required around the edges in order to blend the scoops into the surround. After the glue had set I used a good quality bodywork filler and set to work filling the edges.

This process took some time as I built the filler up in layers, sanding down between each layer

The tricky thing with the filler was to get the two ends of each scoop right. Due to the design of the scoops there is a need to fill in the back of the scoop and blend in with the curves of the scoop and surround.

When the filling was done I used various grades of wet and dry to sand down to an acceptable finish ready to receive the paint finish. I had some Halfords primer and lacquer left over and managed to find a good match for the Platinum Silver (MNX).

Primer applied first, built up in layers

After priming I noticed areas that needed filling again, so more filling was applied, then rubbed down again.

After rubbing down with 1200 grit wet and dry, with plenty of water, the Platinum Silver was applied.

This was then left for 24 hours to harden and again rubbed down with well wetted 1200 grit wet and dry. The final stage was the lacquer.

I applied this in 2 coats, but am not happy with the finish. Whilst trying to get lacquer on the inside of the scoop I got alot of overrun on the face, which has caused some streaking. I am going to rub this down and apply more Platinum Silver and then re-lacquer.

I rubbed down the runs on the scoops with 1200 grit wet and dry with very soapy water as advised by Dr Dial and it flattened out reasonably well, then I applied another two coats of lacquer. This time I was more careful to do thinner coats. When dry I fitted the mesh from the original surrounds into the new scoops and fixed in place with a dot of Araldite. I am really pleased with the results.

Original air intakes.......New scoops...............O/S..........................N/S

Original O/S intake........And new O/S intake

Another tip from David (Aiketgate) that I found very useful was to fit the screws into the scoops before offering up to the car - that way you are not trying to get the screws into position whilst holding the scoop in place - cheers David.

I admit that I am not the best at bodywork and painting, but it is satisfying to give it a go and to achieve the look of the scooped air intakes.

Paul

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Great How-To Paul!

My first scoop is filled and primed, just waiting to paint and laquer and then I will start on the next!

+1 rep :)

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
It's a good job,nice to see you took the time to smooth them in,you can also just bond them on I believe.
Have you tried them for fit/look yet?

It's not adviseable to use filler over paint,let alone fresh aero 1K primer,also without keying the surface.Reason being,the next layers solvent will easily get under the edges of the filler leaving a definate edge,without keying the surface the filler isn't exactly stuck.
Good luck with the reworking,if you break through the clearcoat rectifying it,you will need to reprime,any breakthrough will allow solvent to get under that layer and may even react (wrinkly edges) if over applied.
Not keen on 1K products.
A good post though.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great How-To Paul!

My first scoop is filled and primed, just waiting to paint and laquer and then I will start on the next!

+1 rep :)
Cheers Sam - looking forward to seeing how yours work out.

It's a good job,nice to see you took the time to smooth them in,you can also just bond them on I believe.
Have you tried them for fit/look yet?

It's not adviseable to use filler over paint,let alone fresh aero 1K primer,also without keying the surface.Reason being,the next layers solvent will easily get under the edges of the filler leaving a definate edge,without keying the surface the filler isn't exactly stuck.
Good luck with the reworking,if you break through the clearcoat rectifying it,you will need to reprime,any breakthrough will allow solvent to get under that layer and may even react (wrinkly edges) if over applied.
Not keen on 1K products.
A good post though.
Thanks for the info Dr Dial - I will keep an eye out for breaking through on the rubbing down of the runs. Should I be able to rub down the runs and re-lacquer?

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Cheers Sam - looking forward to seeing how yours work out.

Thanks for the info Dr Dial - I will keep an eye out for breaking through on the rubbing down of the runs. Should I be able to rub down the runs and re-lacquer?

As its 1K and assuming its 100% dry and you use a fine grade of paper (1200 is good) and plenty of soapy water it should flat easily and if the offending bits flat successfully without breaking through,you'll get away with just clearcoating again.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Looks a good how to mate. I got to the glue stage and got fed up so im drivin around with 1 scoop thats black gel coat lol. Looks easy enough to finish off though when funds allow.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Job now complete and scoops fitted to the MGF. I have updated the 'How To'

Some pics of the completed job

1 - 14 of 14 Posts