MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about getting bigger brakes for a while, though I know my "16 multispokes wont fit over the calipers (from what i've read). Is it going to be possible with these wheels, read things about spacers and stuff?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Just had a look on the various forums. Only found 1 person with this setup and they say using a 1.5mm spacer the multispoke wheels will fit but will be very very close. A 4mm spacer is much better, but you will still need to get the balance weights on the wheels moved into the centre of the wheels so that they cant catch on the caliper.
MS seemed to think you needed spacer larger than 4mm when he tried it, so may be worth speaking with him.

G

·
So why would they need spacers? Being a thick girlie, what is different about those specific wheels that you can't fit AP callipers without a spacer?

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Andie B said:
So why would they need spacers? Being a thick girlie, what is different about those specific wheels that you can't fit AP callipers without a spacer?
the calipers would foul the spokes of the rims Andie ;)

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
Andie B said:
So the spokes are thicker than on my wheels?
Got it in one :)

The 160 style wheels have thin flat spokes so they don't catch on the larger calipers.

And I said UL style, not UL, Pete. As far as I'm aware they look the same, just one is made from magnesium and the other is a normal alloy wheel ;)

G

·
James C said:

The 160 style wheels have thin flat spokes so they don't catch on the larger calipers.

And I said UL style, not UL, Pete. As far as I'm aware they look the same, just one is made from magnesium and the other is a normal alloy wheel ;)
Thats all I wanted to know - I didn't realise that. Thanks James.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Loaky said:
Been thinking about getting bigger brakes for a while, though I know my "16 multispokes wont fit over the calipers (from what i've read). Is it going to be possible with these wheels, read things about spacers and stuff?
Solution - Buy a set of 160 Alloys off eBay & sell your multispokes!

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
James C said:

yeah, they are very similar Curgy ;)

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
petevick said:
yeah, they are very similar Curgy ;)
:err: Think you both should have gone to spec savers :rolleyes:

This is what the ULW wheels look like. i.e. nothing like the multispokes in the above pic :lol:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
petevick said:
all the cheap ones have gone tho Steve :(
I managed to get an 11 spoke,brand spanking (ouch) new for £60 the other week,so you can still get them cheaply enough,you just have to keep an eye out.

Loaky....pm sent re calipers

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SteveChilds said:
Solution - Buy a set of 160 Alloys off eBay & sell your multispokes!
Yep it's an option but I like the gunmetal finish with the car, and adding wheels and tyres to the brake fund would increase the price quite a bit! :)

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spike-UK said:
I managed to get an 11 spoke,brand spanking (ouch) new for £60 the other week,so you can still get them cheaply enough,you just have to keep an eye out.

Loaky....pm sent re calipers
Yep cheers spike, I saw a few sets going through on the bay for what seemed like rerasonable money so thought i'd have a think about it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts