MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 214 S (according to the log book) but it doesnt not have central locking) 1998 new shape.
I have bought a remote central locking system which seems simple enough to fit, but b4 I start i would like to know if there will be any problems linking it to the alarm/immobiliser? is it possible or will i have to use 2 beebers on my keyring?
are there any other things i should know before starting?!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm not sure but I would have thought you might run into some problems there?

I know on my car the alarm/imobiliser/remote locking all works off the one fob, and there's only 1 unit, don't quite know how it would all fit in and work if you've already got an alarm/imobiliser on another fob...

I assume to fit the one you've bought you'll have to unplug the existing one? That cud cause problems...???

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If its one of those cheap universal ones it depends on how many doors you have. If its a 3 door it's a fairly simple job but if you've got a 5 door like I had, it'll be a nightmare. Took me the best part of a week to do the 4 doors and boot on my car, but it IS possible. (and worked really well once finished)
If they are genuine rover parts then you shouldn't have any problems...
And oh yeah its quite simple to link to the rover alarm so it all works off the rover keyfob at the same time as the alarm ;)
EDIT -- and if you're arms and hands aren't as flexible as pipe cleaners then prepare youself for lots of cuts and gashes in your skin, if you're fitting it yourself

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,321 Posts
From what I have been told in the past this is quite difficult unless you are resonably experienced with auto-electrics why not ring a couple of auto electricians and pic there brains a bit? Personally I would ring one out to fit it for me.

IVAN

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes its 3 dr and its a cheap universal one, i dont intend doing the boot either.
well i will have a go tonite, mite get back to you if i get stuck!!!!:female: :scary: tnx

TRBD said:
If its one of those cheap universal ones it depends on how many doors you have. If its a 3 door it's a fairly simple job but if you've got a 5 door like I had, it'll be a nightmare. Took me the best part of a week to do the 4 doors and boot on my car, but it IS possible. (and worked really well once finished)
If they are genuine rover parts then you shouldn't have any problems...
And oh yeah its quite simple to link to the rover alarm so it all works off the rover keyfob at the same time as the alarm ;)
EDIT -- and if you're arms and hands aren't as flexible as pipe cleaners then prepare youself for lots of cuts and gashes in your skin, if you're fitting it yourself

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
shouldn't have too many problems then as there's a lot more room for them in the front doors on the 3doors than the 5doors.
Any questions just ask ;)
BTW you will have got a control box or "brain" or something like that with the kit, you don't need this as it will run off the rover stuff.

EDIT - oh and if its only the 2 doors you shouldn't need the loom either, just a couple of bits of wire to extend the locking motor wires with. (might as well plug them into the connectors in the loom and chop about a metre off.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.