MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a TF a year ago and removed the air dam as I could find no description of it in the workshop manual and it looked like some cobbled together add-on.
I later discovered that it is a 'proper' part (see rimmer brothers: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID000127) but the way it was fitted doesnt look right to me.

Some pictures of it below:

It was bolted direct to a crossmember using some tubular washers as stand offs. The picture on Rimmers website shows a bracket, which I dont have.

The way it was fitted means it is pressed up tight against the front jacking point (so it cant be used) and it barely protrudes below the front plastic bumper so I cant imagine it having much effect:

Im sure this isnt right - can anyone advise/show pictures of the correct fitting? Im guessing that there should be a mounting bracket of some sort as implied by the image on Rimmer Brothers' website.

·
Registered
mg_zt_t
4,444 Posts
I know one thing you have took some confusing pics at odd angles/viewpoints there!

I cant figure out what's what and where about's it is on the car.:dunno:

It's like one of those quizes, were someone photographs a thimble close up, and then you have to guess what the hell it is.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
On my F the mounting holes you show seems to be where the bracket bolts on & the air dam attaches to that. It hangs down about the same but makes it sit about 5" further back.
It looks like all the bracket does is to move it back a few inches? :dunno:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my F the mounting holes you show seems to be where the bracket bolts on & the air dam attaches to that. It hangs down about the same but makes it sit about 5" further back.
It looks like all the bracket does is to move it back a few inches? :dunno:
Thanks, that would make more sense - the jacking point would then be usable and the air dam would be roughly in line with the front edge of the wheels. Ideallly I need to get measurements of the bracket so I can make one.

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
Ill nip out to garage in morning and take s photo of one on a subframe that's off the car it will allow a better view

·
Registered
888 Posts
The airdam I think is the wrong way around. If turned around you could then use the jacking point. Perhaps the picture below will help you locate it correctly. Note it does bend forward slightly.

I do not know why it was the refitted the wrong way around? Past accident repair? I can see no reason otherwise why it would be taken off in any repair situation.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
I have a load of Aluminium Sandwich Board at home, I was going to make an air dam, any noticiable benifits ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The airdam I think is the wrong way around. If turned around you could then use the jacking point. Perhaps the picture below will help you locate it correctly. Note it does bend forward slightly.

I do not know why it was the refitted the wrong way around? Past accident repair? I can see no reason otherwise why it would be taken off in any repair situation.
Thanks for this. However I have tried putting it the other way round and it still doesnt fit properly - so I really need to get the mounting bracket. Have found a couple of suppliers who may still have them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another bump of an old thread, which I was advised against last week, but not looking for advice this time.

Was just googling as I was puzzling with the same thing myself. I am in the process of wirebrushing and painting my subframe. Decided to take the air dam off, one bolt came off easily. The second has rusted solid into a clip which was itself attached to the air dam. This means I'm going to have to cut the bolt as, with the access as is I just can't separate it from the clip, and instead the clip has separated from the plastic air dam.

However, interestingly I also don't seem to have any brackets, just one piece of plastic with bolts through the crossmember similar to the post above. Car is a recent purchase and does have some scuffs on the very bottom of the bumper as if kerbed at some point, could the air dam have been damaged and put back incorrectly? Or is this a TF (or late ish TF) vs F change - deletion of the brackets?

Doesn't make a massive amount of difference but it's interesting. Think I'm going to order the brackets as well when I come to replace.

·
Registered
mg_tf
139 Posts
Just came across this. I have 3 TF's all 2002 built and the air dams on all 3 are bolted directly to the cross member with the spacers in between. Oh! one is a 135 and the others stepspeeds. Just thought I'd mention this. Is this not a mod that Rimmers only are supplying?

·
Registered
6 Posts
To add, have potentially solved this mystery (not exactly Agatha Christie, too much time in lockdown clearly) the Rimmers paper catalogue gives the bracket as MGF and TF to a certain VIN, so it looks like it’s not a Rimmers mod but an MG Rover deletion.

·
Registered
mg_tf
189 Posts
HI All

Strange question! I looked under my 2004 TF and no air dam.

Is it necessary? and is it a recommended piece of lit?

Robert

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I’ve never driven a TF without one. Having googled a bit before coming to this thread there’s a suggestion you might tell the difference at high speed. The point of the air dam is obviously to affect air flow u set the car so the post I saw suggested the front end felt light without it at motorway speed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts