MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read somewhere that you have to remove the front bumper, is this really necessary? cant u just unscrew it from inside the bonnet?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
It can be done without removing the bumper, but you stand a good chance of stressing the bumper or even causing it to crack... Taking the bumper off will only take you 10 minutes mate, its worth doing it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
grille

i did this jobbey without taking the bumper. i wouldnt really recomend it tho coz it will stress the bumper quite a bit as there is a lot of pulling and pushing!

Alex.

·
Registered
379 Posts
use a haynes manual if you have one.
I had to do mine recently to de-orange the headlights, only took bout 15mins.

There will be bolts in the bottom of the bumper, 3 either side and about 2-3 in the middle (thats wat mine had anyway). Also there will be one either side inside the arch holding the bumper to the wing. To get to these ones you will need to pull back the inside arch plastic. There is another 4 bolts holding the top of the bumper to the car. Lift your bonet and they should be where the bonnet release catch is.

That's it.... just unscrew all screws, pull away from the car and then unscrew the grille.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Its easy enough to do it without removing the bumper if...

A: You dont have sausage fingers
B: You dont have a car thats quite old...

You find on the earliest cars..like mine..96, the screws are rusted, all you do is round them...u cant get the force into it.
But with the newer ones you tend to find they are fine, making the job easy.

Bumper off in 15 mins though:)

Oh...and i learnt how much it doesnt always bend after soo many times!

·
Registered
477 Posts
i was told on a 25 all you have to do is take the 2 screws out of the top and pull the grille out, just tryed to do it cant get the grille off its cliped to the bumper in 3 places at the bottom, can any one help i dont want to take the bumper off, and when i do try and pull the grille off it feels like the bumper gonner snap!

·
Registered
379 Posts
yeh soz forgot bout the one behind the no. plate cos mine didnt have one?!!??! :spanner: :rolleyes: lol. And yeh Mikeperrin >> my screws were all rusted on my '96.. took some proper elbow grease to get them turning!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
By the time you have fekked about fiddling with the screws, cussing, swearing, cutting yourself up and what not you could have had the bumper off, saved yourself a lot of work and messing about and done the lower grill (which only takes minutes to do) and also de-oranged your lights all in one go.

Why do people always try and a make a meal out of a simple enough job?

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Because taking the bumper off scares some people...and thats easy to understand.
But the fact as you say, is its far far easier to just do it that way!

But you only find that the hard way, by trying without taking it off!

Greeny...re: 25 grille.

2 screws out the top, 3 clips at bottom. Take screws out, and the grille comes out, only clipped in, often feels like it will break...it doesnt though. Give it a wiggle and a tug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts