MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..

I fitted my new boost adjuster last night, and even with the actuator and the new adjuster turned right down my turbo is boosting at over 20Psi, and that's only because I took my foot off the throttle at 2500rpm otherwise it would keep going up...

I removed the short (4 inch) pipe that goes from the turbo to the actuator and fitted the inlet pipe to the nipple on the turbo just below the pipe that you cut to fit a boost guage that goes to the electronic module mounted on the bulkhead, and I then fitted the return pipe onto the back of the actuator that the other end of the small pipe was fitted to..

Have I done something wrong here?? It boosted that high one time that until I stopped and re-started the engine it was mis firing..

Any ideas???

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No.. just used the controller as a reference as to where the pipe that i split for my guage goes on to..

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
The device should be plumbed in like this:

Turbo--->ball end of device--->Actuator

To get low boost you have to screw the adjuster away from the ball end of the device.

Check the hoses are all good and not split or fallen off as if they are split or leaking then you'll get unlimited boost.

Also what boost level is the actuator set to?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi, i had the same problem as you!!! resolved it now tho, the problem is the spring, its too stiff, i took mine out and cliped about 1/4 of it off then stretched the spring to the same size again so it would fit exactly at minimum adjustment, now im gotting 0.7 bar, at max where i was previously getting 1.4 bar, will screw it up later to get the right setting.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, i had the same problem as you!!! resolved it now tho, the problem is the spring, its too stiff, i took mine out and cliped about 1/4 of it off then stretched the spring to the same size again so it would fit exactly at minimum adjustment, now im gotting 0.7 bar, at max where i was previously getting 1.4 bar, will screw it up later to get the right setting.
I'm gonna stick my airline on the valve 1st and see what pressure reading it gives me before I start hacking away at it...

·
Registered
865 Posts
rwkshaw where did you get the ball and spring controller from?? It wasnt one from ebay was it which is brass looking with an allen key adjuster on it??

If the above is the case then send it back, get a refund and then swallow the extra cost and get a GBE Devo. I stupidly wasted my money on one of these (and fuzzy will confirm what i say) and there was more control of boost with the actuator feed disconnected. IMO they are fine for the petrol models but totally useless for the diesels and simply not fit for purpose.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I stupidly wasted my money on one of these (and fuzzy will confirm what i say) and there was more control of boost with the actuator feed disconnected.
Definitely confirmed!

It was worse than useless. Put it this way, if diesels were as sensitive to boost pressures as petrols are, then both Al and I would have scrap engines after trying that controller. I truly hate to think what one of those would have done to one of my T16 turbos! :p

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Definitely confirmed!

It was worse than useless. Put it this way, if diesels were as sensitive to boost pressures as petrols are, then both Al and I would have scrap engines after trying that controller. I truly hate to think what one of those would have done to one of my T16 turbos! :p
Mine works perfectly on my T16 (11.5psi all day long) and it seems to work on my derv too. I wonder why I'd been so lucky?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Those are the ones I have on my cars. Like with a lot of things it is how it is installed and setup that makes a huge difference to the performance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts