MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im going to attempt to fit an exhaust manifold on my vi tomorrow (4-2-1)

mine is blowing so i asume its been on the car over 100k miles so i was wondering if ill get away with using normal spanners or will i need need a power ratchet as the bolts look quite badley rusted. does anything need to be removed like the front bumper etc..

i would normaly take it to a garage n give them a tenner but i want to learn now to do thease kind of things myself. cheers

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Plenty of Plusgas, forget WD40.
Must have decent hex sockets and a big rachet or breaker to crack the nuts. Most likely if they are heavily rusted the studs will come out with the nuts, so it might be an idea to get new studs and nuts before you do the job.

The hardest part will be the manifold to downpipe nuts. Very, very awkward and you'll need all your strength to crack the nuts. If you take the radiator and fan out it gives much more room to play with and I have managed to get my breaker bar in there at an angle and crack those nuts or you can get a rachet spanner on them and use a lever against a sutable place to force it.

You'll need 2 gaskets, one for manifold to block and one for downpipe to manifold.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had a go today ash and three of the 4 bolts came undone and one just would not budge! it was falling to bits the more i tried to crack it. taking it into a garage to get it heated up or the head grinded off!

and to make thigs worse i noticed a hole in the downpipe so now i need one of those aswell!

what a pain in the ******* arse!

am i doing any damage at all driving around with them blowing? or just loosing fuel consumption?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts