MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anybody has any suggestions!

I have an '02' plate MG TF 135, ive had head gasket replaced approx 1.5 yrs ago about 10k miles ago. Car has been left all over easter weekend, noticed this morning strange fishy kinda smell inside vehicle. I checked the coolant level and appears to have dropped by approx 1/2 inch. There does not appear to be any leaks outside the vehicle. Has anybody experienced any similar symptoms? Appreciate any help. Dan

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
Does it smell more like coolant then fish? If it does then the heat unit could be leaking behind the dashboard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah strange smell. does not smell very nice, yeah poss coolant. where abouts do i check to see any visible leaks?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
Remove the panels that contain the interior foot well lights and have a look for any signs of coolant.

·
Registered
905 Posts
That kind of leak generally smelt of curry throught a heater matrix or valve leak into car.

Fishy like smell not heard that before.

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
Mine smells of fish occasionaly when the sun has been beating down on the car. I put it down to the glue used in the contruction of the hood.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Didn't Maxine's car have a fishy smell? Hers turned out to be an burning rear windscreen heater connector did it not? Could indeed be something electrical then

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fault confirmed, heater exchange valve leaking under dash. Part on order, should be fixed for weekend, thanks for all your help. dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts