MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of help again please! Don't know if this is a general heating system question but thought I would post it under 600 anyway.

When I picked up the car & ran it home, I noticed a little steam coming from the front grill when parked up. It was nearly a 2 hour journey so the car was well and truly warmed up, but the temp gauge read fine and there was still fluid in the expansion tank.

Today I topped it up with just water (fluid in expansion tank was not murky or dirty), checked all the pipe work and tightned jubilee clips where possible. I left her ticking over for 5 mins or so & noticed the steam again (daylight this time) from the top right corner of the radiator (tiny leak), bit worse than before & soon after the expansion tank bubbled over. Turned the car off, temp gauge read normal again & the fluid level went to normal.

I'm bit stumped by this! I thought if anything it would have bubbled over when I took it on the long drive home? But maybe thats because there wasn't enough fluid to overflow? The only other thing I touched was a small plastic dial on the top radiator hose (tightened it up), I thought this was just some sort of drainage plug style thing. I found a receipt with the paperwork for Nov 04 when a "new" radiator and water pump where fitted, filled & checked for leaks.

Hope I have included enought detail, would appreciate your help again, thanks.

Ian

·
Registered
812 Posts
If it was idling when the expansion tank overflowed, were the fans coming on? if not, then that would explain why it didn't overheat on the long drive, as the airflow through the rad would have kept it cool.

If the fans aren't coming on, then it's likely the coolant temp sensor (CTS) at the front left of the engine is faulty (common issue). To make sure the problem isn't with the fans themselves, unplug the CTS and the fans should come on immediately.

Only costs a few quid to replace the CTS, easy job. :)

By the way, the little screw dial thing is for bleeding the system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha... So the dial should be tight? Where abouts is the plug to the sensor you describe? Is it coming off the alternator? In my other post I had a loose wire which I was advised to plug back in! Don't know if that could be the problem? No fans came on though but it wasn't running high on the gauge, so probably wouldn't be hot enough to trigger them?

Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
Gotcha... So the dial should be tight? Where abouts is the plug to the sensor you describe? Is it coming off the alternator? In my other post I had a loose wire which I was advised to plug back in! Don't know if that could be the problem? No fans came on though but it wasn't running high on the gauge, so probably wouldn't be hot enough to trigger them?

Thanks
The cts is on the thermostat housing. this is where the pipe with the bleed nipple connects to the head of the engine.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The CTS is a brown plug on the left side front corner of the engine... looks like this :

(could also be black, but most likely brown.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Super duper, if they are cheap enough I'll just get one anyway, rather than experiment. Then if it still plays up I'm safe in the knowledge it's not that lol. Where is the best/quickest/cheapest place to get one?

Thanks again

·
Registered
812 Posts
About £10 or so from Best Of British - seems their website is being updated at the moment, but you can call them up.

http://www.bestofbritishrover.com/

Can also get them from LandRover dealers, probably a few quid more though.

And that photo in my previous post may not be accurate for a 620ti - so don't rely on it! It was just to give you a pointer.

You can see the 620ti CTS on this old pic of my engine bay (bottom left corner of the photo)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent, I'll get hold of one. So do you think the rad leak I've got is actually a leak not a pressure build up/blockage? Or not helped by the fact the car doesn't think it's getting hot (the cts)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Could be, can you get a pic of it? Might only leak with the system being at high pressure - if it's small enough, might be worth trying Radweld.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Excellent, I'll get hold of one. So do you think the rad leak I've got is actually a leak not a pressure build up/blockage? Or not helped by the fact the car doesn't think it's getting hot (the cts)

... and whilst you're at it, get a replacement coolant expansion bottle cap .... they wear out and allow coolant to escape ~ which may explain the boiling over you witnessed.

Keep an eye on the rad leak ... best to identify exactly where the rad is or is not leaking , then decide best action.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gave it another go on idle this afternoon but watched carefully. Rad still seeps ever so slightly in top right & steams. The coolant level creeps up very slowly, still engine temp on the gauge read only third of the way up! I check that cts sensor, the plug end on my Ti is propa mullered but managed to craft it into what it should look like! With the plug off the car idles funny, splutters kind of, but either way there was still no fan coming on (although temp wern't high). Gonna give her a run tonight and see what happens on the move. While I'm at it, would some rad seal do the system any harm? Also is there a specific coolant I should be using? (Gonna get some Prestone which mixes with all colours/meets all specs probably though to be safe). Not sure of the actual coolant content in the system already (if any) so if anything this should help, & also bit of nice evening breeze too!

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
I gave it another go on idle this afternoon but watched carefully. Rad still seeps ever so slightly in top right & steams. The coolant level creeps up very slowly, still engine temp on the gauge read only third of the way up! I check that cts sensor, the plug end on my Ti is propa mullered but managed to craft it into what it should look like! With the plug off the car idles funny, splutters kind of, but either way there was still no fan coming on (although temp wern't high). Gonna give her a run tonight and see what happens on the move. While I'm at it, would some rad seal do the system any harm? Also is there a specific coolant I should be using? (Gonna get some Prestone which mixes with all colours/meets all specs probably though to be safe). Not sure of the actual coolant content in the system already (if any) so if anything this should help, & also bit of nice evening breeze too!
The coolant level creeps up very slowly

Perfectly normal .... that's the coolant expanding in the ... expansion bottle.

still no fan coming on

I believe it should activate the fans when disconnected provided ignition is on. There are TWO sensors in that area on a ti .... if your car is an AirCon model it will have them in a different position.

I have used K-Seal as a temporary fix when a ti radiator sprung a couple of small leaks in the metal core.... damn stones.... worked... can recommend K-Seal. Dunno about long term though ... but, it does stop small leaks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So could be the CTS sensor fooked then? Or posibly a fuse do you think? On closer inspection I think it's only got water in the system, no coolant so hopefully an easy fix with bit of rad weld & I beleive you can get an external putty stuff? Mine is an AC model, so where else can I look for fan-related switches/plugs/sensors?

Thanks

·
Registered
rover_600
64 Posts
i think i have a similar problem, can anyone help me ?

i try to find the thermostat but i can't :( (to newbie i think)

i have a rover 600 2.0 gasoline, 112 cp, honda engine (rover 600 from 1999)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts