MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying my first car (in Ireland) and have been offered a 1998 Rover 200 1.4L for EUR500.

The seller says the car has had a new head gasket, clutch and gear box put in. It also has a relatively low mileage. But at the moment it doesn't run. The seller assured me, all it needs is to clean the fuel pump because it's been standing in a garage for a long time and when he was driving it, he let it run out of petrol, which caused it to stop (i.e he was adamant that it wasn't the ECU that caused the problem).

It now tries to start up but doesn't get going.

Is it a good deal? And more importantly, is the Rover 200 a reliable car? Will it be prone to break down? And should anything go wrong, is it expensive to fix?

I'd appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My advice to you is to walk away, unless you really know what you're at and are willing to potentially spend a lot of time and money. That said, 500 Euro is very little money.

In the end, it's up to yerself!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, that's exactly what I want to avoid. The seller originally wanted EUR1000, but he seems to have taken a fancy to me..or rather, my voice, as I haven't met him and he practically asked me out already...who would have thought, haha!

I know it's not very much but being a student, I have a limited budget. Would have been nice to have something a little different, though!

well, a good night, im off...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep, don't buy it, chances are it will be completely fecked, otherwise he would surely have fixed it himself and then sold it at a higher price! The fact that he literally halved his asking price shows how desperate he is to off-load it.And as for would a 200 be a good first car, well, having owned a 214 as my first car, I would say, it depends. If you are prepared to face up to the possibility of it going wrong and having to spend a bit of money on repairs then go for it, because they are quick for what they are and quite nice inside, not bad looking and in all honesty, decent value for money.But reliable? No, they are not. But if I was on a budget and after my first car again, I'd still probably buy one!

·
Registered
211 Posts
But reliable? No, they are not.
I wouldn't say they are unreliable so long as they have been looked after (my one has only had a couple of very minor, very cheap problems). However, I would say to stay away from this one as it doesn't seem to have been cared for.

As for fixing costs, I've found it no more expensive for parts and labour than any other car. I had the exhaust replaced just after I bought it (The first thing I do after I buy a second hand car - force of habit), and that was only £100 including labour and VAT. If you shopped around you could probably get a better deal than that.

Overall, save your money for a well looked after example. You may not be able to get such a low price for it, but at least you'll know it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi all,

thanks for your opinions, i shall follow your advice and give this particular one a miss.

Ta
Mateja

·
Registered
48 Posts
Both me and my missus have a 214 P and S regs (mine's the older!). Both are going straight through MOTs - common probs we had with both though inc: heater/blower control doesn't work on stting #1 and clutch is a little sharp but managable- not the end of the world for sure. Central locking needs attention on one of ours (and other people's). But there are threads on this site that'll see you through if you're in any way handy. And any little probs will help you negotiate a good price. Look out for signs of HGF though, this seems to be a theme. Really positive about being owners tho, economical and lively.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
yep tcp/ip, thanks again for the link... and if i come across another affordable model, i'll definately come back here for advice!
squiggers ~ I have one or two Rover enthusiast friends over there in the Emerald Isle. If you really want a nice cheap Rover, do what they sometimes do ~ visit mainland UK and drive a nice cheap Rover back home. If you're from south of the border, I believe there maybe some 'import' tax or other involved but if the car is only around 500 euros, it should not be a big amount.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
hi all,

thanks for your opinions, i shall follow your advice and give this particular one a miss.

Ta
Mateja
If its been standing, ask why it has,
some people also have little knowledge of cars may suggest wrong problems.
If a car that worked fine when it was laid up, should only need some new petrol and a working battery.
I would ask him to get it started for you as I know cars are more expensive where you are so it may pay off?

reliablity depends on the owner, if its serviced properly it should be very reliable. Well i've always service mine and its never gave me any realgrief.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If its been standing, ask why it has,
some people also have little knowledge of cars may suggest wrong problems.
If a car that worked fine when it was laid up, should only need some new petrol and a working battery.
I would ask him to get it started for you as I know cars are more expensive where you are so it may pay off?

reliablity depends on the owner, if its serviced properly it should be very reliable. Well i've always service mine and its never gave me any realgrief.
It wasn't him that had owned the Rover. He said he got it from someone in the country. He was being difficult when I asked him to fix the fuel pump himself, even if at the beginning he did offer it. But when I said to go ahead, he kept lowering the price ('you can have it for 400 and spend the rest on gettin it fixed, coz it wouldn't cost more than 70')...his last offer was 200 Euro with the justification that he just wanted to get rid of the thing!

So I think it all sounded too dodgy... that's practically giving the car away - why would anyone do this if the problem was a minor one?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I know you can't judge a book by it's cover... but I'd keep yourself safe and wait for the right one. I don't like the sound of the guy or car by gut instinct.

You made the wise choice. :)

Take care.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Just to say: if you bought it for 200 euro, could you not strip it and sell the bits on ebay for more? Make some extra cash for your super ace car!

Si:)

I DRIVE A...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stevesrover200
thanks. that rover has been taken off the buy and sell...wonder if the seller took it off. Heard from a different forum that someone else went to see it and found it fishy too, as in the seller didn't have any papers for it 'with him at that moment but he could get them no prob'

eddiesolo
nice idea, but don't have time for this at the moment!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts