MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a regular poster but I have read this site every day since I joined.

I have finally got hold of a Rover 214 IE and it's even better than I imagined.

But there are some problems which are nagging me so I thought I would ask them here and see if I can get an answer for them :)

Interior light. It comes on when the door is open but it won’t come on if I flip the switch to on.

Clock is messed up by the looks of things. Been looking on ebay and it looks like I will be forking out £20. Easy enough to install?

Wood is UGLY and I need to do something about it. Is it possible to replace the 2 wood trims and if so where can I get them from?

This is my first car and I have only had it for a week so I think I know the answer to this. But sometimes the car jumps. I keep thinking it's me in the wrong gear but it seems to be when I am in a residential area going slow over speed bumps etc. Plus I seem to be stalling it a bit more than I would have thought. I now fear traffic lights on hills. If I don't stall I wheel spin which makes me hang my head in shame. Is it just me?

I'm into my heavy metal, rock, indie so I need to get some decent speakers, head unit and if possible some tweeters. I see tweeter grills, is it as easy as taking the door panel off and fitting them?

I think that's about it. Sorry for all the questions but I'm really not clued up on motors and I just want to make it a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
mg_zs
718 Posts
Not a regular poster but I have read this site every day since I joined.

I have finally got hold of a Rover 214 IE and it's even better than I imagined.

But there are some problems which are nagging me so I thought I would ask them here and see if I can get an answer for them :)

Interior light. It comes on when the door is open but it won’t come on if I flip the switch to on.

Clock is messed up by the looks of things. Been looking on ebay and it looks like I will be forking out £20. Easy enough to install?

Wood is UGLY and I need to do something about it. Is it possible to replace the 2 wood trims and if so where can I get them from?

This is my first car and I have only had it for a week so I think I know the answer to this. But sometimes the car jumps. I keep thinking it's me in the wrong gear but it seems to be when I am in a residential area going slow over speed bumps etc. Plus I seem to be stalling it a bit more than I would have thought. I now fear traffic lights on hills. If I don't stall I wheel spin which makes me hang my head in shame. Is it just me?

I'm into my heavy metal, rock, indie so I need to get some decent speakers, head unit and if possible some tweeters. I see tweeter grills, is it as easy as taking the door panel off and fitting them?

I think that's about it. Sorry for all the questions but I'm really not clued up on motors and I just want to make it a more comfortable ride.
if you want a new dash clock i ahev one for £15 posted let me know

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Check the light connections in the light itself the circuit is completed by earth and this could be loose.

The zr dash inserts fit as do the gti rover 25. The top 1 just clips off the heater requires centre dash removal but it will only take 10 mins.

Clocks often go on rovers Ive had 2 now and find the best selection from the scrappy. Make sure you get the same version clock as yours because theres 3 to choose from with different multiplugs. the plastic surround unclips to reveal 2 screws which hold the clock.

I would suggest a good service and a run with fuel cleaner I find this solves poor running on my 200.

You will have to take your door panels off to change speakers. Undo all the screws, theres also 2 under the handle itself, unclip panel at bottom and slowly lift.

You could fit your tweeters into the oem rover ones. I didnt really want to drill into the door.

Good luck mate

·
Registered
238 Posts
Agreed wood is ugly! I have 2 spare trim pieces out in shed if ya want them. I bought spares so I didnt ruin the standard ones but i just primed it, sprayed it black, then sprayed varnish (yes varnish lol -all i had at time) over the top! Never had it chip off and looks good too! Can give pic if you need! Honestly I'd just say spray yourself! If you screw it up that badly then I can always chuck some in post to you! :)

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
I know what you mean about the wood dash trim, a guy wanted to swap my trim (fitted from rover) for his wood trim...I DON'T THINK SO!

He also offered me an extra £20...sorry mate.

This is my trim, grey with a carbon fibre effect on it, matches the car as it's silver.

Yep, give it loads of fule injector cleaner and go for a good run, worked wonders on mine.

All the best mate.

Si:)

I DRIVE A...

·
Registered
cityrover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could fit your tweeters into the oem rover ones. I didnt really want to drill into the door.
So unless I want to hack away at the plastic I should look at getting some ZR door handle trims?

J220, thanks for the offer. I might have a go at screwing up my own ones first. I have to spray something else black as well so I might as well try it on them.

Cheers for your help everyone. I'm going to pop into Halfords tomorrow to get some mats and listen to some speakers. Think I am going to get the Pioneer DEH-P55BT. So tweeters and coaxials in the front should do ok for the moment.

I will fill up the tank tomorrow and get some fuel cleaner. Let's hope is does the trick.

Oh. Like I said I'm new to driving etc... how much would I be expecting to fill up the tank from red? £30?

·
Registered
cityrover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Passed MOT fine. No probs what so ever apart from I should put greese on something near the wheels. I wasn't listening but my Dad was the one who was so he will be the one doing it. To messy for me :p

What are repeaters?

Going to purchase some black lexus lights for her.

You can find images of her here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtob3z/sets/72157600204231437/detail/

I have given her a clean since and I'm going to do a big order on cleanyoucar to polish and wax her.

I need money so bad :(

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Congrats on the flying colours.

The repeaters are the side indicators on the front wing. Strongly advise you get some nice clear ones ;)

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Good choice in getting a tarty blue 200 :broon:

If you want differnt indicators, i have a set of LED focus style ones available. They will just need some sticky backed foam, to stick them to your car.

Same as these ones Focus style LED repeaters but just need some new foam backing to stick to your wings.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
325 Posts
Car looks nice mate about the jumping - it's quite likely that this is you with the clutch. You will learn that Rover clutches and gearboxes aren't the easiest ever to use and they take a little time to get used to.

·
Registered
737 Posts
You will learn that Rover clutches and gearboxes aren't the easiest ever to use and they take a little time to get used to.
Agreed.
The clutch is very snappy, it took me a while to get used to it. Once you have the hang of it, you will find its a very nice drive indeed.

·
Registered
cityrover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers people. Skelo I will have to get back to you when I have some cash. Plus I have just realised I will have to phone up Direct Line and tell them about the back lights should I change them. Ugh..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts