MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my ZT 190 for three months now and had the MGR garage have a look at a few things before the warranty ends.

I have sometimes had problems with rear doors not opening without brute force but my major irritation has been with the cruise control not keeping the speed as steady as it should. It's like the sensor checks the speed to seldom making the speed vary by +-1km/h every 5 or 10 seconds. It's so irritating that I hardly ever use the cruise control. I have read on the forums that it might be a faulty ABS sensor causing this trouble, but according to the MGR garage that was not the case.

With the diagnostic system they found out that there had been a stored fault for the Traction Control and ABS ECU, but that this fault was no longer valid. Does that sound reasonable?

Instead they had the idea that the fault might have something to do with the vacuum pump controlling the speed. They tried it for a leak but there was none. The only way to know, according to them, was to exchange the vacuum pump for a new one, but in the end it might not be the cause of the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

The garage made a full check of the car with the help of the diagnostic system and three stored fault codes were delivered:

DDAY9000
SYSTEMFAULTS4
Traction Control and ABS ECU
1 fault codes have been stored.
CAN Messaging Fault

The garage's comment on this was that if the fault had persisted the ABS light in the dash would have been illuminated.

DDAY9000
SYSTEMFAULTS4
EMS2000 ECU
1 fault codes have been stored
P1472 Variable Intake Buttefly Valves alway open

The garage's comment on this was that "they all display that": According to the 75/ZT expert mechanic this fault message is shown on most 75s/ZTs he tests without them having this fault. I have been starting to wonder whether I can have a VIS valve motor/intake problem, as power delivery has been a bit erratic occassionally.

DDSP0003
DISPLAYFAULT
1 fault codes have been stored
Power output to the valve is Low, when it should have been High

The garage's comment on this was that they found out through the diagnostic system that this fault had occured way back and that the car had been started 144 times since then without the fault re-occuring.

I hope there are people out there who has better knowledge than me about the diagnostic system fault codes, hopefully even better knowledge than my MGR garage! This is my last chance to get things done on the warranty! Should I demand any fixes!?

/Ackel

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Number 2 sounds exactly like a VIS valve fault and suggest the motor is knackered. If you are experiencing a lack of power and awkward gear changes then even more a VIS valve thing.

Can't say on the others but in general it sounds like they are giving you 'bull'. you may need to get much more assertive with them.

hth

Mike :)

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
I'd wipe all those faults from the various ECM's and then check for repeat codes after running the car for a week.

Definately a VIS issue you have for starters.

·
Registered
mg_zt
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your input guys!

I told the garage that I would ask about the issues on this forum and they thought it would be a good idea, as they've sort of stumbled on the cruise control problem.

MikeM said:
in general it sounds like they are giving you 'bull'. you may need to get much more assertive with them.

hth

Mike :)
My definite experience is that they are quite trustworthy and not the sort of guys that would try to fool me. Anyway it's not them that will be paying if things have to be sorted but the dealer. I will talk again to them about the potential VIS problem as that error message struck me especially.

Does anyone have any ideas about the cruise control problems, if it's not an ABS sensor?

/Ackel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts