MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 56 plate MG ZR so it must have been manufactured towards the end of production, just wondered if anyone knows the final chassis number to gauge how close to the end it was produced?

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,701 Posts
Nobody is entirely sure of the final VIN/serial number for the ZR as there were an unknown number which were finished off after the company collapsed into administration - some near the end of the line were finished off a few weeks later, and in the late summer, the administrators had the key-line-workers back in to build up as many cars as they had parts to complete from the shells left on the factory floor which the Chinese had taken off the lines when they dismantled them to ship to China.

As far as I know, these later built/finished cars were not entered on the factory build records, although I do not know of one which has come to light - there is an MG ZS in Sweden (I think, might be Norway?) which has a serial number which is beyond the last entry on the factory records for the 45/ZS.

The last batch of new cars was released to the dealers in March 2006, so there is a possibility that a car registered after that may well be one of the late batch, but some cars sat in dealers for a long time (even before the collapse) and some of them had been sat in the storage areas at Longbridge for some time too, so some of the last batch that went to the dealers had almost certainly been built before April 2005.

The last Rover 25/Streetwise/MG ZR shown on the build records was a Starlight Silver Rover 25 1.1i which had a serial number of 816135, but the latest MG ZR I have come across is a Rio Red Trophy 105 with a serial number of 816092, and the records showed that it was built on 6th April 2005 (the day before the administrators were called in) and that there were another 19 ZRs on the factory records after this one (obviously also built on 6th April as that was the day the lines stopped for the last time).

One of my own ZRs (a Goodwood Green +120) has a serial number of 816063 and also has an off-assembly date of 6th April (but about an hour before the aforementioned Rio Red one), and was registered on 1st May 2006 on an 06 plate. The build records showed that there were another 40 on the factory records after mine, so 20 ZRs built between mine and the Rio Red one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nobody is entirely sure of the final VIN/serial number for the ZR as there were an unknown number which were finished off after the company collapsed into administration - some near the end of the line were finished off a few weeks later, and in the late summer, the administrators had the key-line-workers back in to build up as many cars as they had parts to complete from the shells left on the factory floor which the Chinese had taken off the lines when they dismantled them to ship to China.

As far as I know, these later built/finished cars were not entered on the factory build records, although I do not know of one which has come to light - there is an MG ZS in Sweden (I think, might be Norway?) which has a serial number which is beyond the last entry on the factory records for the 45/ZS.

The last batch of new cars was released to the dealers in March 2006, so there is a possibility that a car registered after that may well be one of the late batch, but some cars sat in dealers for a long time (even before the collapse) and some of them had been sat in the storage areas at Longbridge for some time too, so some of the last batch that went to the dealers had almost certainly been built before April 2005.

The last Rover 25/Streetwise/MG ZR shown on the build records was a Starlight Silver Rover 25 1.1i which had a serial number of 816135, but the latest MG ZR I have come across is a Rio Red Trophy 105 with a serial number of 816092, and the records showed that it was built on 6th April 2005 (the day before the administrators were called in) and that there were another 19 ZRs on the factory records after this one (obviously also built on 6th April as that was the day the lines stopped for the last time).

One of my own ZRs (a Goodwood Green +120) has a serial number of 816063 and also has an off-assembly date of 6th April (but about an hour before the aforementioned Rio Red one), and was registered on 1st May 2006 on an 06 plate. The build records showed that there were another 40 on the factory records after mine, so 20 ZRs built between mine and the Rio Red one.
Thanks for this, it looks like mine might have sat at a dealer for a while then, I have 814617 but it wasn’t registered until September 06.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,701 Posts
I would guess that yours would probably have been built near the end of March 2005 - I do know that 814438 (a Shot Silk 160) was built on the 21st March, so yours is very likely to have been one of the ones that sat at Longbridge before going to a dealer later on.

You will be able to find out the factory build details for yours if you join either the MG Car Club or MG Owners Club as both those organisations have access to the build records and will provide details to members.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts