MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know when this was announced or is it actually true?
it does seem to have disappeared from a few magazine price tables.
does anyone know why? and if the c8 and 607 are going the same way?

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
The Fiat Ulysse was dropped from UK price lists at the end of January this year. The Citroen C8 and Peugeot 807 are still on sale in the UK. The Fiat Ulysse is still on sale in Europe.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
It must've been selling way below the targets for them to drop it here. I think the Ulysee/807/C8 are quite nice cars for what they are. Does anyone have any sales figures for the trio to see how they compare?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
rlxs said:
It must've been selling way below the targets for them to drop it here. I think the Ulysee/807/C8 are quite nice cars for what they are. Does anyone have any sales figures for the trio to see how they compare?

Yes the C8 is by far away the best seller shifting around 25 units nationally per month, Peugeot sell about 8-10, but Fiat only managed a couple per month at best

·
Registered
91 Posts
MGsales said:
Yes the C8 is by far away the best seller shifting around 25 units nationally per month, Peugeot sell about 8-10, but Fiat only managed a couple per month at best
Honestly - is that all? - I would have thought they`d all sell in much bigger numbers! - any idea how this compares to the sales for the Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra and the Espace?

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Liam Olf said:
Well, who wants a FIAT people carrier when they can buy a more established Peugeot 807 or Citroen C8...
What is more established about a Peugeot 807 or Citroen C8? They are all basically the same vehicle and were launched at the same time. The same goes for the previous Fiat Ulysse, Peugeot 806 and Citroen Synergie.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
IanRobertson said:
What is more established about a Peugeot 807 or Citroen C8? They are all basically the same vehicle and were launched at the same time. The same goes for the previous Fiat Ulysse, Peugeot 806 and Citroen Synergie.
Badges.

FIAT have acquired quite a tainted brand image recently, just like Rover has, or did. This must generate a lack of consumer confidence when choosing to buy FIAT.

The average motorist, by my reckoning, would favour the Cit. or Pug. over the FIAT because of this image, and sales figures relect this, so something similar must be going on. You can't put it down to lack of marketing and advertisement between the manufacturers either because all three have been pretty abismal when it comes to this product.

It doesn't help that FIAT's Ulysse is decidedly more unsightly to look at than the C8 and 807 either...

I certainly haven't seen much advertising.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've had 2 Ulysse both the old shape and the much nicer new shape introduced 2002. Was cracking value for money at £16K brand new (pre reg). This included SAT Nav, Voice activated mobile phone, First years assist - I could phone the Turin HQ and they could tel me where the nearest petrol station, hotel, Hospital was! Cruise, 5* NCAP and a very good 2.0 JTD which

I will probably get remaped upto 150bhp when the warranty runs out in September. My wife loves driving it.
Had it for coming up for 3 years and apart from the odd trim niggle its been a reliable and comfortable ship to get my family around.

Will be keeping it for another 5 years at least and I have every confidence it will provide sterling service.

I was shocked when I heard that they dropped it from the FIAT range.

Stubie

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
That has always been the problem for FIAT - nobody buys a big FIAT.

It's a problem and I don't know how it is ever going to be resolved.

Incidentally, there is a fourth MPV built on the same structure as the FIAT/Peugeot/Citroen - there's a Lancia as well. It's a good looking car as well - far better than any of the other variants.

Maybe - just maybe - it is time for FIAT to start considering a relaunch of Lancia in RHD markets, to be sold at FIAT dealerships.

Start with the all-alloy Lancia Fulvia Coupe - even if only in left hand drive form - in order to get the die-hard enthusiasts driving them again: starting out the same way as MG did when relaunching the brand in the early 1990s.

Then ensure that RHD versions of next generation Lancias get designed alongside the LHD variants and gradually introduce them into the market. English versions need to be highly specified as standard - leather seats, cruise control, electric everything, built-in voice activated sat nav, the whole nine yards, whilst keeping the price relatively competitive. This will have a very special halo effect:

• It will mean that punters will get a car that will appear to be prestigious when compared to the Fords and Vauxhalls in the company car park
  • This, in turn, will drive new customers into the showrooms, thereby allowing more cars to be sold, and keeping resale values high
  • People who were considering a Saab or bottom range BMW will also visit the Lancia showrooms, only to find they can get a much higher spec car for the same price. These people are also less likely to expect big discounts, ensuring more profitable sales
Once the brand gets established, then specifications can be gradually reduced and prices increased without adversely affecting sales.

I wouldn't be tempted to bring in the small Lancias into the UK - they would just compete with FIAT and devalue the brand - but bringing in the larger Lancias and the sporting Lancias would have a benefit - selling to customers that FIAT currently don't do.

I don't think there would be a major overlap between Lancia and Alfa Romeo - if you look at the current Alfas and Lancias, there are very few overlaps between the models, and if promoted right it could get FIAT UK a very loyal following.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts