MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Industry: Fiat posts rising profits
04 May 06 15:00
The Fiat group has reported a first-quarter profit of 323million euros ($409million), a massive improvement over the meagre 47million euros it made last year. The Fiat Auto division - Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Ferrari and Lancia - posted a 49million euro profit, up from the 166million loss it took in the same period in 2005. Fiat Auto has now doubled its profit forecast for 2006, and is confident that its immense restructuring plans are now paying dividends. It is now said to have an excellent profit margin of 17percent, and its finances are expected to improve further as important new models, such as the replacement for the slow-selling Fiat Stilo, are launched later this year (Reuters).
Source: channel4.com/4car

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
glad to hear it, the grande punto, the new alfa 159 and brera all seem to have been roaring successes, my local dealer had presold his first 2 sets of build slots of the 159 before the launch day.

just a sahme MGR didn't manage to do the same

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
AndBurG said:
glad to hear it, the grande punto, the new alfa 159 and brera all seem to have been roaring successes, my local dealer had presold his first 2 sets of build slots of the 159 before the launch day.

just a sahme MGR didn't manage to do the same
So long as they keep utter crap like the Croma and Stilo away then they will be fine.

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fiat is back doing what it does best - funky small cars. The Panda and Punto are both cracking motors and the forthcoming 500 will only add to their success. Alfa deserves to do well as the new 159 is a corker and the Brera/Spyder are as sexy as an Alfa sports car should.
Let's hope the dealers and build quality are on the up too!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Fantastic news, however I do wonder how much greater that profit would have been if they had followed the conventional wisdom of industry "experts" and culled a few brands. Afterall, it worked wonders for BL and is now being suggested for GM, so surely Fiat could benefit in some way as well?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
So do I, there is a lovely 3-door Arbarth version at our local dealer, very nice but I wouldn't want to own one, the 5-door is dire also.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
A range of new engines etc.. has helped too, i like the 1.3 diesel engine in out punto, its a zippy little town car.
I think that has always been a very successful car for Fiat, and the new design, i.e. grande punto, has built on this success.

Alfa are ever improving, so fair play to Fiat i say, keep it up!
Mind you, good job we like them really, as with 20 odd % of a Fiat/alfa's always a good start :lol:

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
Bob S said:
Fantastic news, however I do wonder how much greater that profit would have been if they had followed the conventional wisdom of industry "experts" and culled a few brands. Afterall, it worked wonders for BL and is now being suggested for GM, so surely Fiat could benefit in some way as well?
theres a problem with that theory , which brand(s) would you drop, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Ferrari and Lancia all have such great heritage that it would sacriledge to do so, lancia would be the obvious one to drop as the range sits nicely as fiat > alfa > maserati > ferrari but maybe lancia could be used for budget performance models based on fiat underpinnings

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I've never really seen the point of Maserati in the FIAT portfolio, as it is uncomfortably close to contradicting Ferrari's model range in my opinion.

Lancia has been suffering from a poor reputation, leading to a complete withdrawal from the UK market all together as a result, as well being in the unfortunate position of simply rebadging some of FIAT's models to fill the gaps, a bit like Maserati, which doesn't really help it much as a brand.

Alfa and Ferrari are the only ones to be blessed with truely unique models from the rest of the FIAT portfolio. The 147 is more than just a rebodied Stilo, and the 159 is a work of art.

I wish them well, but even with investment into Maserati and Lancia, they risk stealing sales from their other brands. I like it ould just be best if they but them into hibernation, until they can figure out what to do with them.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
Liam Olf said:
I've never really seen the point of Maserati in the FIAT portfolio, as it is uncomfortably close to contradicting Ferrari's model range in my opinion.

Lancia has been suffering from a poor reputation, leading to a complete withdrawal from the UK market all together as a result, as well being in the unfortunate position of simply rebadging some of FIAT's models to fill the gaps, a bit like Maserati, which doesn't really help it much as a brand.

Alfa and Ferrari are the only ones to be blessed with truely unique models from the rest of the FIAT portfolio. The 147 is more than just a rebodied Stilo, and the 159 is a work of art.

I wish them well, but even with investment into Maserati and Lancia, they risk stealing sales from their other brands. I like it ould just be best if they but them into hibernation, until they can figure out what to do with them.
maseratis are much more a grand tourer, despite similar power figues a ferrari would kill the mas o na track and kill your back o na run, whereas the mas would while away the miles with healthy trobbing from the v8.

lancia atm def seems to be the weak link.

alfa models are unique and you're right the 147 is more than a rebodies stilo, because its a shortened 156 chassis with a hatchback body and so is more alfa romeo than fiat. The GT shares the 147 platform too. The 159 was developed with help from vauxhall *spit* but vauxhall ran out of money to throw at it and couldn't afford alfas demands to use the chassis themselves. this is apparent when you see the 159 and brera use VX engines, the 2.2 and v6 are both vx engines with alfa romeo fettling and the pcd is 5*110 vx fitment.

maserati are doing well, in other countries at least

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by AndBurG:theres a problem with that theory , which brand(s) would you drop, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Ferrari and Lancia all have such great heritage that it would sacriledge to do so, lancia would be the obvious one to drop as the range sits nicely as fiat > alfa > maserati > ferrari but maybe lancia could be used for budget performance models based on fiat underpinnings
Exactly, I was being sarcastic. Fiat has recovered very nicely from their past financial woes, and they did it all without have to resort to radical downsizing and the extreme market share losses that inevitably come with killing off brands on a whim. BL is the only multibrand company that ever tried such a strategy, and look what happened to them. Fiat was almost left for dead, and they turned around quite well while remaining a multibrand operation. The two cases totally discredit the brand-shedding turnaround strategy the experts constantly recommend for GM. Fiat proves it can be done.

·
Registered
941 Posts
AndBurG said:
maseratis are much more a grand tourer, despite similar power figues a ferrari would kill the mas o na track and kill your back o na run, whereas the mas would while away the miles with healthy trobbing from the v8.

maserati are doing well, in other countries at least
That's about right. Ferraris are more hard core and with styling that shouts at you, Maseratis take a more subtle approach - perhaps a kind of Italian Aston Martin. I think they are wonderful. The Quattroporte may be flawed in some ways but to my mind it is HUGELY more desirable than any big Merc or BMW. It has soul.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Liam Olf said:
There are people who like something different, let's face it Porsche and Ferrari make superb cars but they're almost getting a bit too predictable as a sports car choice. Even in my area, Porsche's are a fairly common sight and a I regularly see Ferraris. But Maseratis? About as common as rocking horse manure. If they can tap into that and profitably maintain an air of exclusivity even in the exotica than good luck to them. Even so, it's nice to see the odd trident badge stonking down the roads!

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Liam Olf said:
So long as they keep utter crap like the Croma and Stilo away then they will be fine.
I wouldnt describe the croma as that - in my opinion the car is distinctly average - it has nowhere to position itself and looks like a estate pretending to be all executive and big. Value for money is its strong point though, but its weakness will be the good old depreciation factor.

each to their own opinion I suppose, but I would rather get a Croma than a Citroen C5 for example...{if i was stung with that choice:err:}

1 - 16 of 16 Posts