MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the creditors for MG-Rover is FIAT-GM Powertrain. This isn't the same company as the Powertrain we all know and love, this is a separate company in its own right which - as you may have guessed from the title - is owned by FIAT/GM.

They are owed £159,248.

What is the story there? Anyone know?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
The Fiat Punto front lights for the MG SV :lol:

Yeah, probably going to be something to do with the 1.9 JTD diesel unless it's for a silly little component, wheel jacks or something ?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
boxwellm said:
One of the creditors for MG-Rover is FIAT-GM Powertrain. This isn't the same company as the Powertrain we all know and love, this is a separate company in its own right which - as you may have guessed from the title - is owned by FIAT/GM.

They are owed £159,248.

Sorry, a little off topic, but is LDV owed anything by MG Rover ?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Firstly, my understanding was that the new Powertrain G-series turbo diesel was going to be used in the Rover 75.

Secondly, almost £160,000 buys a HELL of a lot of Punto front lights!

But I guess no other solution makes sense - maybe FIAT were starting to sell diesel engines for the 75/ZT. FIAT-GM Powertrain had been working on MG-Rover for five years trying to sell them an engine...

The timescales fit too - when I asked an MG-Rover dealer a loaded question last Autumn (to the effect of "by the way, do you know when the new Alfa engine is appearing in the ZT?") I was told it was due to be launched in April 2005...

Thankfully, MG-Rover don't owe LDV any money, although they do owe Lotus £950...

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Maybe Fiat-GM Powertrain were going to supply a High-Power Turbodiesel engine whereas the G-Series would fit into the 100-130bhp bracket.

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
Nick Birse said:
That saddens me, but doesn't really surprise me.

Saddens you in what way, what did you want an MG Sherpa?

Why would LDV have anything to do with MGR and vice versa, apart from the fact that LDV still make the old BL sherpa van with new lights on it, I cannot see any other reason for a connection. lol

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saddens you? At least LDV didn't end up being owed money... that would have been the last thing they needed at the moment!

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
cityrover said:
Saddens you in what way, what did you want an MG Sherpa?

Why would LDV have anything to do with MGR and vice versa, apart from the fact that LDV still make the old BL sherpa van with new lights on it, I cannot see any other reason for a connection. lol
A purchasing agreement of Turbodiesel engines would have been good. Perhaps even joint purchasing of common components!

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats true - an LDV with a range of Powertrain engines would have been nice. Keeping it in the family, so to speak.

·
Registered
882 Posts
LDV could still buy the G-series. If the G-series is as bullet-proof as the L-series it could be a really good move for them.
I'd like to see at least some of MGRs bits retained under UK ownership and put to good use.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
boxwellm said:
Saddens you? At least LDV didn't end up being owed money... that would have been the last thing they needed at the moment!
I'm really glad MG Rover didn't end up owing LDV any money, as you say, that's the last thing LDV needed at the moment, though sales are up again this past month, and I've seen 2 or 3 new MAXUS over the past week, so they are selling and are out there.

I was saddened that MG Rover and LDV never worked together, either buying components and LDV buying perhaps L-Series diesels for the Pilot from Powertrain too. I would have liked a Joint Venture on the RD/X60, with LDV either being part owning or licencing the platform for the manufacture of a smaller, Kangoo rival.

Do we know for definite if LDV isn't interested in bidding for Powertrain and/or parts of the MG Rover business, perhaps designs and equipment to make a smaller van ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The story behind the Fiat/GM debt is... MGR were due to use the JTD engine in RDX10/11, G series was originally only for RDX20/30. That was until the deal with Fiat/GM fell through thanks to tooling costs etc.
This meant that G series was to have further development in order for it to work (be very good) in RDX10/11. ie higher power ouputs / more refined!
The costs are charged to PT Ltd, because PT used to buy in all engines / gearboxes used by MGR (inc V8's) so they could be dressed and sent up the road to MGR. Asking Fiat/GM or Ford to do this was hideously expensive as they just were not interested for the volumes.

So basically the debt is for development engines.

If you look through the creditors list you'll find many strange companies owed money...

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't think LDV actually had any money at the moment? Unless they could buy the G-series in for 1/6d I think they would struggle to find the funds.

It also depends on whether or not the G-series engine is actually ready yet. I suspect there are several months of work required before the engine is ready to go.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
boxwellm said:

They are owed £159,248.

I seem to remember that a part was fitted to the cooling system on the K series that was patented by Saab. Saab are owned by GM and could this be it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts