MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a dam Diesel 620 P reg, and drove 150 miles to get it arrived late at the sellers place so took it with little or no checking ,,Dum !!

And today i pressed on the gas and revs were high and car not responding CLUTCH, how the frig i did,nt notice this last night i do not know !!

Plus i did,nt evan check shocks and it,s like a bouncy castle and if that were,nt bad anoth driver window is,nt working :banghead: LOL

Really aint got no money so i,m gonna have to try and do the clutch my self !! is this the sort of thing that could be done with determination but without normal faciltys ie on my drive ?

Any help to tackle this monster job i would be greatfull:err:

I do have 600 cd but it sais it can,t run without extension ?? WTF ? would it be the same for diesel if i got it running ?

heres what i had in my head basic am i on right track ?

drain gearbox ?
undue hub nuts
remove track rod lower ball joint,, lever bar
remove drive shaft
remove gearbox linkage
undue gear box pops out bobs your uncle LOLLOL.

about hub not is it easy i have no airgun of course and have heard of attaching breaker and driving car forward but i imagine it lifting op LOLLOL

Does the gearbox have to be totsally removed ?
clearly aint got much clue so any assistaince would be great :err:

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Yes you can do it on the drive. You'll need a couple of trolley jacks (or one and some lumps of wood). The haynes manual only covers the petrols but the same principals apply to the diesel.

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
The procedure you have outlined would make sense.

Leave the driveshaft attached to the hub end, take the inboard end out of the gearbox, if the lower balljoint has been split then there will be enough play in the strut to allow enough movement of the shaft so that it clears the gearbox fully.

I reckon dropping the 'box completely is necessary.

I'm basing my assumptions on the fact that it's the L series engine in the 600.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that i did have a quick look underneath and could,nt quite make out how to disconect gearbox linkage, there was a clip at the gearbox end and a hollow pin assumed it just knocked out but no luck, not that i tried long as it was getting dark, plus theres 2 shafts going to gearbox could,nt work that out = i take it the gearstick moves the both :idea:

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Not sure on this as I've not looked at my 600 yet. But yes you are right the hollow pin just knocks out (well you usually have to bash the living daylights out of it!). Of the two bars only one moves, the other is the stay bar for the gear linkage mechanism. It just unbolts on the engine side if its the same setup as my maestro (same PG1 gearbox).

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
You'll be needing a 5/16" or 8mm parrallel pin punch to drive the roll pin out.

620 Diesel clutch on the floor? Entirely possible but hard work not to mention dirty!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts